Lea's Reviews > Columbine

Jan 19, 16

liked it
bookshelves: acquired-2011, books-i-own, read-2016, reviews
Read in January, 2016 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Going into this book, I really didn't know anything about the Columbine event. I didn't watch the news coverage, didn't read anything about it, didn't even know the names of the two boys who did this. I just don't follow news that doesn't directly affect me. So reading this was a bit of a challenge initially. The author has an almost abrupt style, and it seems as though he expects everyone to be aware of what he's writing about. I was completely lost, trying to figure out who was who and what was going on. The timeline jumps back and forth as well, especially as you work your way through the book.

Which is not to say that it wasn't a good book -- it just took me a while to figure it all out. Those who are more familiar with this case would have an advantage I think.

Parts of this are incredibly sad -- one of the boys' journals is full of self loathing and doubt, along with a plaintive yearning for love. As a mom, I found it heartbreaking. Other parts just enraged me -- the pastor being aware that the "girl who said yes" (She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall) was completely untrue, but insisting that they would never accept the truth, then reading how that lie spiraled out of control to hurt the girl who actually did profess her faith when shot was so upsetting.

Now, did I like the book? I think so. It seems like the author put a lot of time and effort into his research, and he seems to have interviewed everyone involved. I couldn't put it down. But I will say that at times it did seem like I was reading a novel -- I'm not sure why, as it really isn't written in a style that would give that effect. Perhaps the circumstances just strike me as too far outside the norm to be "real".

At any rate, well written, very interesting. Definitely recommended for those interested in learning more about the subject.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Columbine.

01/19 marked as: read

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Super depressing event. I remember when it happened, and then I watched Bowling for Columbine by Michael Moore. It's the kind of event I don't necessarily want to dig into again, but knowing the story could help us not have a similar thing happen. You know? Good review!

message 2: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea Nicole wrote: "Super depressing event. I remember when it happened, and then I watched Bowling for Columbine by Michael Moore. It's the kind of event I don't necessarily want to dig into again, but knowing the st..."

Thanks, Nicole! I think someone already familiar with the events would get a lot out of reading this one -- the author presents some surprising, as well as seemingly controversial, conclusions.