♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > The Night She Disappeared

The Night She Disappeared by April Henry

Mar 08, 12

Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Wendy Darling
Read from March 05 to 07, 2012

This story kept you on the edge of your seat. It was a fast paced, page turner, and I have to say, it scared the living daylights out of me! That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gabie's a high school senior working part-time at Pete's Pizza. One night she switches shifts with co-worker and fellow student Kayla. On that night Kayla goes out to deliver pizza and never comes back. Her car is found, keys in the ignition, purse on the seat, and door wide open but no sign of Kayla. This is alarming enough but Gabie finds out that the customer who ordered the pizzas asked if the girl who drives the Mini Cooper (Gabie) was making deliveries that night. Gabie is beside herself feeling guilty and terrified because he wanted her. It should've been her. She's afraid for Kayla but she's afraid for herself as well. What if he comes back for her? Fueled by fear and guilt, Gabie makes it her mission to find Kayla, and she enlists Drew to help her.

Drew also works at Pete's Pizza with Gabie and Kayla. He was the one who took the phone order that Kayla went to deliver the pizzas and never came back. He feels guilty. Drew would've made the delivery if he had a car and maybe Kayla would've never disappeared. Drew feels it's his obligation to tell Gabie about the guy who asked about her. In his mind, it was Gabie the man was after. So when Gabie asks him to help figure out Kayla's disappearance he can't say no.

Like I said before, this story chilled me to the bone because it's something that could very easily happen. It probably has happened. The thought of some random person stalking and then taking you or someone you love is beyond frightening. This book is not very long, only 229 pages. You're sort of thrown into the story and take off running. In spite of that, I felt like I connected right away with both Gabie and Drew as characters. Even though Gabie seems a little self-reliant and closed off at first it was nice to see the change in her when it came to working with Drew. They feel a connection because of this shared horrific situation. While romance did not play a big part in this story, I thought their relationship was sweet, and appropriate for this story. I also like the different POVs the story is told in. You get several, not just Drew and Gabie. What's also kind of cool about this story, is you are shown evidence receipts, 911 phone call transcripts, interviews by police, etc,. So you feel you're part of the investigation.

If you love mystery and suspense with a little bit of romance thrown in, this is a book for you! This is a chilling story, but I didn't feel it was inappropriately scary for the YA audience. It really gives you something to think about, just going about your day and what could happen.

Thank you so much, Wendy Darling for lending me your copy! It was such a pleasure and privilege to read this early. To learn more about Wendy's ARC tour you can visit her blog http://backinthemidnightgarden.blogsp...
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night She Disappeared.

03/06/2012 page 48
20.0% "Chilling!"

Wendy Darling My pleasure, love! I'm glad it arrived safely. :)

message 2: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder Can't wait to see what you think of this one. It sounds really good.

message 3: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice Oh, this sounds really interesting, Rachel. I'll be looking forward to your review!^^

message 4: by Paola (new)

Paola I'm looking forward to reading this one. Let me know what you think of it :o)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

is it scary rachel? kidnappers are one of those topics I tend to avoid because they freak me out.

♥Rachel♥ Wow, I didn't get any notifications for any of the comments above! Sorry guys.

I'm really liking it so far. I'm only 48 pages in. I'm going to dig in tonight. It is totally scary/creepy for me. Having kids, especially a daughter, makes the thought of this even worse!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

k, even your description makes me scared. cant wait to hear what you think of it though.

Laura Hey Rachel! I'll be watching on this one! :) It sounds really good!

♥Rachel♥ Why Laura, are you stalking me? :)

♥Rachel♥ That's okay, I don't mind being in her sights. ;)

message 11: by Paola (new)

Paola Wonderful review Rachel :o) I'm not sure if I should read it now since it does sound rather scary. I will have to think about this one.

message 12: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit Awesome review Rachel, I hadn't about this book before you're review, I'll be definitely checking it out now. Another book added to the tbr! :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Paola. I think you could handle the scary. :)

Thanks Jasprit. I know, another one. I can't keep up! I'm under a mountain of books here. :)

Arlene Hmm, this sounds like a me book. I'm going to have to check this out. Great review Rachel! :)

message 15: by Paola (new)

Paola Okay I may give it a try :o)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sam and Arlene. I hope you like it if you do. :)

Laura ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Why Laura, are you stalking me? :)"

Always! :D Hehe…Professional Stalker—I like that job title! ;)
Wonderful review, Rachel! I’m looking forward to this one now. :)

♥Rachel♥ That's okay, Laura. I'm stalking you too. ;)

message 19: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder Great review Rachel/ I will have to give this one a try as well. I can't wait to read this.

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Kristina. I hope you like it. :)

message 21: by April (new)

April Henry Hey, I was just on Good Reads today and saw this. The story was actually inspired by something that really happened - a pizza delivery girl who went missing after the bad guy initially asked for someone else. I always wondered what it would be like to be that girl, the girl he asked for first.

♥Rachel♥ April, that is truly frightening! I really enjoyed your story though! :)

message 23: by Sonya (new) - added it

Sonya It sounds refreshing for those receipts, 911 phone call transcripts, interviews by police. It sounds terrifying but I can't wait to reading this book! Great review, Rachel! :-D

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sonia. :) The story felt like it was real which is why it was so scary to me.

Ruben Botello me to was on the edge of my seat and more towards the end

message 26: by April (new)

April Henry Ruben wrote: "me to was on the edge of my seat and more towards the end"
Thank you!