Charles Cohen's Reviews > The Four Fingers of Death

M_50x66
Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, modern-lit
Read from October 05 to 07, 2011

How exactly does one subvert or send up or satirize a 1950's B-horror-movie? Definitely not with a 700-hundred-page book-within-a-book structure. Of the three sections, "Book Two" was just awful - bloated, arch, and worst of all, boring. Because it was meant to be some shlocky horror nonsense, I never invested myself in any of the characters. "Book One" was at least somewhat interesting, as far as horror movie origin stories go. I especially liked how Moody used the diary format to add suspense to the plot, giving us bits and pieces about the story as it developed. So for next time, Rick, how about instead of 700 pages of bloated overwrought cheesy nonsense (perhaps meant to merely "send up" bloated, overwrought cheesy nonsense," in which case doubly insulting), you just give us 400 pages? Or better yet, some other story that is maybe worth reading?

Oh, and I HATE talking monkeys. Also, you know what makes talking monkeys even worse? When they're pompous, self-righteous monkeys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Fingers of Death.