Dina's Reviews > Lords of Rainbow or The Book of Fulfillment

Lords of Rainbow or The Book of Fulfillment by Vera Nazarian

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Read from June 23 to July 09, 2012

Lords of Rainbow is quite wonderful. The world building in it is - wait, it is better to write it in italics, like world building or even with capital letters World Building ... yeah, that'll do. So yeah, the World Building is brilliant, and you can actually feel all the thorough work behind it.

In the first half of the book we are introduced to the weird colourless world (yeah, colourless, can you imagine?) and to Tronaelend-Lis (had to peek inside the book one more time before writing that one), the city where most of the events take place. The pace at the beginning is really slow, so we have plenty of time to look around, get to know the city and its people.

Nazarian is good – a truly talented writer, who loves her language. Her prose is lyrical. Her characters, very much alive, complex, different.

Here I have to say that initially I planned to give Lords of Rainbow five stars, but ended up with just four - I am a terrible person, I know, but I’ll try to explain. I loved the first half of the book, which was slow, yes, but had this unforgettable feeling about it – feeling that you are descending deeper and deeper inside this amazing world, discovering it. But then the pace changed, and the story just dashed forward towards its a bit hasty – though neat – ending. And this change of pace, however necessary, was the only thing that I didn’t like – much.

Okay, now that I’ve explained my problem with the book, here are the things I loved:

1. The world building. I say it once more – It is that brilliant. Pages of pure description, intervening with the main storyline, but never out of place, never boring. I got lost in Tronaelend-Lis. It left me wanting more.

2. The main character. Oh, Ranhe, I love you! I love you so much I find it hard to believe my heart will ever belong to someone else. Seriously though, Ranhe is the best female character I’ve seen in – Ever, actually. I can’t explain her awesomeness in plain words. She is so strong and smart, but also vulnerable and insecure, and, yes, I know, this can be said about a lot of heroines, but believe me, Ranhe is special.

3. The other characters. Every single one of them was great, and different. Gender switching Phoenix was intriguing, and I wish the author allowed us to see more of him/her, as well as the other minor characters.

Overall, Lords of Rainbow was a very satisfying read. For those who love fantasy, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lords of Rainbow or The Book of Fulfillment.

06/26/2012 page 120
28.0% "ok, what have we got so far? A world without colour. Lots of characters, including a warrior-woman and a gender switching... err... person. Some pretty serious worldbuilding. Like it so far."
07/02/2012 page 200
47.0% "the pace is a little slow, and i am not sure i remembered all the characters who were at the beginning but later sort of - disappeared. this is going somewhere, right? and the names! i keep forgetting them names!"