J. Ewbank's Reviews > Honest to God, 40th Anniversary Edition

Honest to God, 40th Anniversary Edition by John A.T. Robinson

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: a-good-read, religion
Read in October, 2011

I read Robinson's book many years ago when it was first published and enjoyed it. I found it recently and read it again and enjoyed it all over again. He points out that Christian theology must find new ways of interpreting the Gospel and Christianity because we are losing members because of the way we present God as "out there" or "up there." Modern man knows better and we need to find a truer and better way of presenting the message. We may never be ab le to present the whole thing but we need better concepts to present it. He leans heavily on the insights of Tillich, especially "The Shaking of the Foundations," Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "Letters from Prison" and Rudolf Bultmann's "New Testament and Mythology." It is a fascinating, open and lovely book pointing us in the direction of ever reinterpreting the message in a way that is fresh and speaks to the time, but is always true to it's original.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honest to God, 40th Anniversary Edition.