Bess's Reviews > To Be Sung Underwater

To Be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal

Oct 05, 11

Read in October, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Do you remember the football quarterback that was the most popular person in high school? In his 20's he still wore the letterman jacket & in his 30's & 40"s was resigned to reliving the "big game" at the bar with his bartender as his #1 fan?

This book was tragic and self absorbed in that same way. People who couldn't get past an event or didn't realize the importance of an event until it was too late. I was surpirsed by the father's philandering that was revealed since he was characterized as a book work/loner. Did Malcom have the affair?

There were numerous anecdotes scattered throughout the story that I liked. I am not sure how I feel about the ending. I need to let that sit with me a few more days. This book reminded me of FREEDOM in that the main female character is very self absorbed at a cost to her family that I can't relate to. Never fully appreciating what she has negatively affects the lives of many people - not just her own.

My one editing issue with this book is that early on she tells the reader aspects of her story that she also told to her editing assistant. Yet, the book ends in real time, so how could she have told her assistant these certain facts when she would have had to have told her after the booked ended and before the main character whould have had the time to reflect on those aspects of the story to know they were important enough to retell to her assistant? Had she told her assistant these things when they were revealed early in the book, the ending may not have happened the way it did. Plus the main charater was a film editor - the author should have seen this "editing" mistake in his writing.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Be Sung Underwater.