R.J.'s Reviews > Darkest Fear

Darkest Fear by Harlan Coben

1471987
Oct 13, 11

Read from October 05 to 13, 2011

I'm a big fan of Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar Series, but this one just didn't hold my interest like the others I've read so far. Usually there is a sharp contrast between Myron and Win. Myron stands for justice and that which is morally right. Win is fine with the ends justifying the means. But in Darkest Fear, the line separating the two is quite blurred.

One of my favorite things about the mystery/thriller genre is the protagonist's ability to overcome a series of obstacles. In most cases, the bigger the obstacle, the greater the challenge, and the bigger the payoff after the climax. In this book Myron manages to resolve the main plot issue, but the series subplots are left in a state of disarray.

Of greatest concern was the condition of Myron's moral gyroscope at the end of the book. He felt compelled to cross some lines that moved him too close to Win's point of view. It felt as if he slid down the teeter totter toward Win and may not be able to return to achieve balance.

The fanciful plot twists in the climax couldn't alter the fact that Myron's character took a beating. If it were a boxing match, Myron went down for the count and took a loss. Will he bounce back in the next novel and reclaim his crown as one of my series favorites? I certainly hope so, and will definitely be reading #8 to find out. In the meantime, I'm a little bummed out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkest Fear.