Elaine's Reviews > Wild Girl

Wild Girl by Patricia Reilly Giff

F 50x66
Oct 26, 11

KBA 2012 nominee. Fifth or sixth(?) grade girl character named Lidie. Recently left her home country of Brazil to join her father and brother in New York. Father and brother train and race horses. Her reunion with her family was less than she expected - - they still think of her as a little girl and father doesn't remember important events from Lidie's past. Lidie became an outstanding rider during her years in Brazil but can't share this information with her father and brother. Lidie struggles to fit in and find her identity, but eventually does so with the help of a foal named Wild Girl (ironically Lidis's mother's nickname for Lidie when she was little.) Told in first person from Lidie's point of view. Genuine voice and rich characters. I was a little confused about the relationship between Lidie and her father - - he seems very cold and distant - - and this is never really explained, although at the end of the story Lidie and her father seem to reach a heartfelt understanding. I loved the connection between the horse and Lidie and how they both come together to help each other find a place in the world. Very sweet and enjoyable book. I would easily recommend to a 4th - 6th grade girl.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Girl.