Em's Reviews > The Broken Kingdoms

The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

F_50x66
Oct 05, 11

Read in October, 2011

Oh for goodness sakes, all of you people just commenting "comment" to win the Twitter thing.

I read this and Hundred Thousand Kingdoms back to back, and Broken Kingdoms is actually my favorite of the two. Oree's viewpoint provides a very unique counterpoint to Yeine's -- she has a community memory that fears Nahadoth and loves Itempas, she's urban poor rather than a country noble, she explores the city rather than the palace, she gets to know demigods before gods, she's experienced the Bright in a mostly positive way (the civic works, the schools, taking care of the poor, etc.). It makes the perfect way to flesh out the gaps of the previous book and really expand the world-building into urban high fantasy.

Plus, the writing takes a turn for the, hmm, aesthetic? Writing like from a blind woman's viewpoint presents unique details that wouldn't come from any other direction. This really pays off in the final chapter during the Big Fight. I've got to say, the Big Fight is something I enjoyed more in this book this time, too. Oree used innate talents rather than a second soul to play a killer supporting role.

My biggest complaint was that Hado should have had more screentime. idk why, but I'm a fan.

All in all, I would say that this book is like Chobits meets Silence of the Lambs meets Burn Notice. That's not a bad thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Kingdoms.