Eduardo's Reviews > Stillpower: Excellence With Ease in Sports and Life

Stillpower by Garret Kramer

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: psychology, sports-coaches, self-improvement
Read from October 09 to 15, 2011

There are some interesting ideas in this book that I will mull over and look for as I continue coaching but overall I found the book to be overly simplistic and generalized. It appears to be more helpful for those that are wanting to learn more about managing athletes in performance but not very helpful for those that are teaching athletes new skills.

Perhaps a simplistic approach is precisely what the author desired but it left me wanting, not for fixes or how-tos but for more information; more meat on the bones of his "principles".

The author seems to draw his ideas from 2-3 mentors which makes the book seem to be a retelling of their ideas, which made me think I should read their books instead of this one. Also, I found the author's use of examples to be superficial. I felt that some of them almost begged for an ending of, "then everyone lived happily ever after."

I wonder if reading that source material would indicate a Buddhist influence because this book seems to echo many Buddhist tenets while never making that connection explicit. This lack of connection caused me to think less of the author's approach because it would allow readers to explore far more content relevant to his ideas rather than being limited to just the 2-3 aforementioned authors/thinkers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stillpower.