Ronando's Reviews > The Lair of Bones

The Lair of Bones by David Farland

May 09, 08

bookshelves: fantasy_scifi
Read in April, 2008

Overall, this series was ... ok. It wasn't great, but it didn't suck enough for me to give it away to Goodwill or to "drop in between the bleacher seats at a college game, for it to dwell amongst the refuse, garbage, diapers, beer cans and general trash that is only seen by college drug dealers, desperate lovers and the wind." (quote from my good buddy Josh who did that exact thing to the Thomas Covenent White Gold Weilder book where the 'hero' ends up raping his great grand daughter. At that moment in time he, Josh 10 years ago, was numbstruck and opened his hands and consciously let the book plummet to it's death, where it is still there now probably being read by some drug dealer or exhausted post-coital participant.)

But I digress.

The cool thing I liked about this entire series was the very original concept of endowments where attributes (brawn, sight, smell, metabolism, etc.) that are taken from other people to enhance one's own self. So a lord might have several endowments of brawn, causing them to be three times as strong as a normal man. Very original and cool... when done in moderation. That, along with the opening scene in the market where the Prince stumbles upon an "astonishing" woman with two endowments of "glamour" rendering her incredibly beautiful, really set the scene for a wonderful book. But the David Farland simply takes a nice unique idea and ruins it to the point where the concept of endowments are nothing more than a cliche. Literally... a thousand endowments of brawn and glamour? So much for beating a dead horse.

And the maps were horendous. None of them were of as much value as they should have been. Especially the 4th book. It's as if the map makers never read the books, or Farland merely contracted the work to someone in India.

The character development is thin, at best. Everyone and their dog suddenly has magical power beyond the realm of endowments and there are certain plot lines that you can't wait to see what happens that lead off into nothing but dead ends. Literally. The trip south of Boronson and the Storm king... what the hell happened to that?

I could go on, but it's not productive. It's like watching a bad soap opera that you can't turn away from. I got pulled in when I should have been reading something else... like the Initiate Brother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lair of Bones.