Williwaw's Reviews > Batman: The Long Halloween

bookshelves: comics
Recommended to Williwaw by: Graphic Novel Club
Recommended for: Batman fanatics
Read from October 04 to 05, 2011, read count: 2

The colorist, Gregory Wright deserved more credit. His name should have appeared on the cover, because without his work this book would have suffered. The layouts are great, but the line work is rather crude. Wright's work props everything up and makes the book aesthetically sound.

What a twisted plot! (Maybe too twisted?) Not sure I believed the "revelatory" ending. Did I miss something? How can a mystery be that wrapped up and then get unwrapped again and again? You'll have to read it to see what I mean. I won't spoil it for you.

But I will say that the story is about a gangster family and a rival crime boss. Members of the gangster family are getting picked off over the course of a year. The murders all occur on holidays, beginning with Halloween. Hence, the title: "The Long Halloween."

It's really a mystery story which keeps the reader guessing about who the Holiday Killer might be. The authors plant some misleading clues along the way, so you won't have any trouble being confused.

There's a parade of just about every one of Batman's villain-rivals that you ever heard of (who the hell is Solomon Grundy, by the way?). I'm not sure what they were all doing here, but still enjoyed seeing them and feeling their creepiness.

I loved the Harvey Dent story-line. For me, he's the creepiest of all the Batman villains. If you are fascinated by Harvey Dent, as I am, then pick up this book!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.