Tami's Reviews > Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History

Sex on the Moon by Ben Mezrich

Oct 05, 11

Read in September, 2011

Mezrich's retelling of the true story of Thad Roberts' theft of 101 grams of moon rocks insists on painting Roberts as a modern-day Robin Hood who just helped himself to some scraps, that NASA itself had labeled as "trash", as a grand gesture of love towards a woman. But I wasn't convinced. I saw him more as self-centered and egotistical, so amazed by his own IQ that he felt "entitled".

Although based on the actual events, the book is fictionalized to read like a novel. But as such, it was disappointing. The pace was way too slow and it included a lot of unnecessary detail in some areas and left glaring holes in others. Comprehensive retelling of Roberts' relationships with the women in his life and his attempts to "remake" himself filled two-thirds of the pages, but the climax of the story - the heist itself - was glossed over. I wanted more specifics. I understood one or two people dodging security cameras on the way in, but how did they maneuver a 600 lb. safe on a dolly past the same cameras on the way out? How did they get it in/out of their vehicle and, later, into a dumpster? Why dispose of a 600 lb. safe in a dumpster? You don't think it will be noticed? Did someone as intelligent as Roberts truly believe that borrowing the get-away vehicle from a friend wouldn't leave an obvious trail straight back to him? How many dark colored jeeps with a NASA entrance sticker could there be? Not to mention, I felt deceived when, after 200 pages of buildup to stealing large amounts of moon rocks from one of the most secure locations in the country, just as the theft is beginning, it is revealed in an offhand comment that the heist has been "downsized" - "Oh yeah, and we realized we were never going to pull off that theft we've been planning for the past 200 pages, so we decided just to steal a safe." Still a major undertaking, but nothing compared to what had been promised. The final fifty pages covered Roberts' experience in prison - all of which could have been summed up in two pages at most.

Dave and I read this book together, and he doesn't necessarily share my opinions. He has more interest in NASA and the astronaut program than I, so he was more easily engrossed in the details. While he did agree that the narrative was long-winded, and that there were some questions left unanswered, his assessment isn't as negative. "I thought the topic was interesting, but the book was just ok."

We rated it a low 3 out of 5. While I think the story would have been better packaged as non-fiction, without the fabricated personal scenes, it wasn't a total loss. If nothing else, it made us reexamine our awareness of current events, since neither of us was aware that this theft had ever taken place.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex on the Moon.