Maureen Hovermale's Reviews > A to Z Stories of Life and Death

A to Z Stories of Life and Death by D. Biswas

Oct 05, 2011

Read in October, 2011

I’ll admit, I procrastinated a little in reading this book because of its title, but let me be the one to let you in on D. Biswas’ secret: It holds poetic writing of such depth that I had to reread passages just to let their sweet taste caress my mind again.

Such a pleasure, the subtle depths to which it teased my understanding of other perspectives. These short stories brought within its passages a bigger picture by spotlighting so many different points of view.

This book contains very short stories which bear a title of each letter of the alphabet. I guarantee you’ll find yourself begging for more when it moves on to the next letter.

An example: ‘But her lipstick held back her lips, her bustier did an admirable job of keeping together her middle, and stockings and stays did the rest. She stayed within her skin and righted herself on her teetering heels.’

Edgar Allen Poe is considered to be the father of the modern short story and I’m certain he wouldn’t be disappointed to see his legacy carried on in Biswas’ collection.

I highly recommend this book to any who value the unique value of the short story. This book should be on shelves everywhere as an example of how to write such treasures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A to Z Stories of Life and Death.