Gina's Reviews > Once Upon a Time, There Was You

Once Upon a Time, There Was You by Elizabeth Berg

Oct 05, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: library, chick-lit, book-club, family, contemporary-fiction, marriage, romance, women-s-fiction, family-dysfunction, kidnapping
Read on February 01, 2012

Goodreads Book Description- From the beloved New York Times bestselling author of Home Safe and The Last Time I Saw You comes a beautiful and moving novel about a man and woman, long divorced, who rediscover the power of love and family in the midst of an unthinkable crisis.

Even on their wedding day, John and Irene sensed that they were about to make a mistake. Years later, divorced, dating other people, and living in different parts of the country, they seem to have nothing in common—nothing except the most important person in each of their lives: Sadie, their spirited eighteen-year-old daughter. Feeling smothered by Irene and distanced from John, Sadie is growing more and more attached to her new boyfriend, Ron.
When tragedy strikes, Irene and John come together to support the daughter they love so dearly. What takes longer is to remember how they really feel about each other.

Elizabeth Berg has once again created characters who embody the many shades of the human spirit. Reading Berg’s fiction allows us to reflect on our deepest emotions, and her gifts as a writer make Once Upon a Time, There Was You a wonderful novel about the power of love, the unshakeable bonds of family, and the beauty of second chances.

This is the first time I have read Elizabeth Berg and to be honest it left me wanting more. It starts out on Irene and John's wedding day and Irene is having doubts about her marriage. Then fast forward 18+ years and now John is living in Minnesota while Irene and their daughter, Sadie, are living in San Francisco. Sadie is 18 and trying to figure out her independence from her extremely overbearing mother before she sets out for her freshmen year at UC Berkley. Sadie doesn't have a good relationship with her mother and feels that her mother is always sabatouging relationships because of her unhappy childhood. Sadie is hiding her new boyfriend Ron from her mother in fear that she will ruin that relationship too. Then tragedy strikes Sadie and John flies in to be with Irene to help with Sadie. The story goes on from there.

There were A LOT of issues that were just skimmed over by the author. I was left wondering "Why the hell are they not talking about what happenned to Sadie!?!?" "Why is Irene being such a selfish brat when her daughter is in so much pain??" I didn't give many details from after John comes back because there are so few details and the plot would be given away. There was just too much left hanging. The characters' actions were pretty shallow and non-realistic. I have more of Berg's books and I sure hope the are others better than this one! 2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Time, There Was You.

01/22/2012 page 12
show 1 hidden update…

Jami Collier l usually really enjoy her books...this was not her best

Gina I was hoping that her other books were better! I heard she was good and I have at least 3 more books of hers. Have u read her before?

Jami Collier ive read almost all her other books and really enjoyed them....dont give up on her

Gina I won't. I own more of her books and I always give authors another chance.