Ela 's Reviews > The Mark of Athena

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

WHAT KIND OF AN ENDING WAS THAT, HUH? WHERE WAS THE HAPPY ENDING? Oh my God.... Percy and Annabeth.... why why why why why

******

I won't lie, this book was the book that I was the most excited about in this series. This was the book that all the seven demigods were finally going to meet each other for the first time, and start their quest. AND of course, the Percabeth reunion (whooooooooooooooooooooo)!!!!!!

Rick Riordan hasn't failed me yet. His characters are still what I love about his books the most. Okay, so I know that I said that I disliked Jason and Piper before, but they're growing on me.(At least Piper is. Jason, I'm still not sure about. Something about that guy says traitor to me.... Am I the only one?) But everyone else, Percy, Annabeth, Hazel, Frank and Leo, I absolutely loved.

I have to say though, I expected more relationships built during the course of 500 + pages. Like some nice siblingy relationships or some tension, like with Percy and Jason for example. I felt like there were opportunities for them to have gotten to know each other more, like Piper and Hazel, or Leo and Percy, or Frank and Jason. But I suppose in their defense, they DID have to fight off monsters and enemies 82% of the time.

(view spoiler)

Leo. He was, by far my favourite character of the series (aside from Percy, of course, but I think that's a given). He was funny, charming, but flawed and down to earth which made me love him more. (view spoiler)

The amount of action in the book was great, not too little and not too much. I love, though, how the demigods usually win their fights because of their wits and not just their skill in fighting. I think that's a nice message to have.

The only thing I was bothered by in the book, aside from the lack of relationship buildups, was probably being in Annabeth's perspective. It's just that, not hearing from her side of the story for so long (7 books in total may I say, 5 in Percy Jackson and the Olympians and 2 from The Heroes of Olympus), it was weird finally seeing what was going on in that head of hers. Especially when she was talking about Percy. I don't really know. It was just odd, like I guess that since we never got a view in her head for so long before, that I made up what Annabeth was thinking and it didn't necessarily match what Riordan wrote.

Anyway, there wasn't really anything that I disliked about the book aside from the two points I mentioned before, which I pretty much just overlooked because the plot was excellent and the characters were just brilliant.

That cliffhanger, though. I do not like the idea of waiting another year.

449 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark of Athena.

10/16/2012 page 50
8.0% "I'm so overwhelmed right now ALL THE SEVEN DEMIGODS ARE TOGETHER OMG QUALITY TIME I CAN'T EVEN

"
10/18/2012 page 75
12.0% "Okay, being in Annabeth's head kinda freaks me out a bit. For some reason, I don't think she'd really think like this. But maybe that's just me, and maybe it's just because I've been in Percy's for so long and I'm not used to it....."
10/20/2012 page 262
43.0% "Hazel and Leo I mean who wouldn't want that how perfect would that be but then what about Frank I love Frank too omg I just can't decide why is Hazel just awesome for goodness sake my feels

"

message 1: by Celine (new)

Celine Love the photos Ela, it really brings a clear picture to my mind about how your feeling about the book. :D!!!

Ela Haha, thanks :) I was just trying out my formatting skills and I thought this review would be excellent for a practice :)

message 3: by Celine (new)

Celine haha, love it!

Nisat LOL this is so funny

Ela Thanks, Nisat :)

Sarah♫ Ditto I can't Wait!

Nisat thanks a million!!

Tiffany I kept randomly freaking out about this today and my parents thought I was going nuts. I should stop rereading the books. It hurts too much...

Ela Thanks so much for the first chapter, Sarah! Makes me even more excited...

Rachel Note: the cedarleaf link only has about half the chapter. The entire first chapter can be found here: http://disney.go.com/disneybooks/hero...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

can't wait to read the book!(:

Ela Thanks Rachel for the link!

message 14: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Stevens I read this while in the library and some old lady was sitting next to me. Is it difficult not to laugh? Yes. Have I succeeded? Not really.

Ela Do you mean, the book or my review, Mary?

If you mean the book, then, asdfghjkl, WHERE did you get a copy from???

But if you mean my review, then, awww, thank you! I bet you it was that gif of the guy dancing, huh? How did the old lady react, I wonder... :)

Maddie { The Unofficial Therapist } Happy dance, happy dance. :)

Ela Yep. The happy dance.

Camryn I'm with you, I'm not patient. Oh those taunting animal pictures.. I bet they've already read and are just laughing. Just LAUGHING at all of us, wasting our lives, waiting for a book we will most likely devour in 2 days and then want the next book right then... UGH RICK!!! YOU'VE TROLLED AGAIN...

Ela I know. It's ridiculous that we wait for more than a year for a book and finish it in an hour.... and then wait for the next one for a year again. Where is the sense in this? Haha :)

message 20: by Clinton (last edited Oct 28, 2012 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Clinton gotta love your pictures lol

message 21: by Gigi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gigi I completely agree with you. Rick left off with Percy and Annabeth falling into Tartarus.WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
Oh. When Nico said one person would have to stay in Tartarus to close the door, I think Percy is going to stay. I would be balling my eyes out if that happens because Percy and Annabeth deserve to die of old age married to gehter with a couple children, not Percy die in Tartarus while Annabeth lives with the guilt of leaving him in the one place NO god will venture.

Ela Yeah I know that's what I was thinking as well. Also, Leo mentioned that too, how he knew that you can't close a door from both sides without trapping someone on the other side. So I'm guessing it would be Percy who'd stay down there, or that they'd fail to shut it and all the monsters and things will come out and the final book will be some epic battle against all of them. UGGGGG I just want the freaking book is that too much to ask?!?!

Nisat Are you guys serious?? I can't wait to see Percy get trapped in Tartarus. It would be a great ending, I hope he goes a bit mad too (scary and hot make a good combo, don't you think?). I could just picture him being quite, brooding, absentminded, and occasionally menacing with a mad glint in his eyes. Too descriptive? Well lets go into it a bit more, he doesn't tell anybody what happened to him, not even Annabeth. How do I know this'll happen? I don't.

Mckenn Souza From who's perspectives do you guys thing the House of Hades will be of? like Leo, Percy, Jason, and Frank? maybe Annabeth and Piper?? Hazel??!

Fearlesscharm True! I totally cried(and went berserk) while reading that 'Percy and annabeth fall into__' part.... But I'm a crazy Jason piper fan so I started doing the happy dance and shouted 'jasper 4 ever!!' As loud as I could.....people from my class just stared at me like a was a weirdo....

message 26: by crazy (new)

crazy so awesome i partacully like the one about stitch so cute

message 27: by Jaki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaki My exact reactions. I cried for days. I needed time off work to recover. I needed time out of LIFE! Haha. Don't think 'mental recovery from the torture of a fictional book' would go down as a reason though...

Perry You really should have warned that your review contained spoilers!

Alyssa My feeling exactly! I couldn't believe it! I think I might die out of pure anxiety to know what will happen! Oh my gosh what Percy said before he let go made my heart melt into a puddle, it was so sweet and ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Maureen Mae exactly how i felt! as i was reading that--that--that part, i gasped "NO!" so loud that my friends stared at me like i was crazy!:D it hurts!why, why, why???

Sierra Exactly how I felt too and I kept reading that page over and over again,why did they have to fall?!

message 32: by o__o (new) - rated it 5 stars

o__o Lol, the gifs do express your feeling well

Elliott Florence I felt the same way crazy ending.... unexpected

Alyssa Lol I started to hit the book with my pillow asking why?!?!?! My roommate looked at me like I lost a few marbles.

Alyssa Ela wrote: "Yeah I know that's what I was thinking as well. Also, Leo mentioned that too, how he knew that you can't close a door from both sides without trapping someone on the other side. So I'm guessing it ..."

I actually don't think that Percy is going to stay in. I think it might be Frank. Or perhaps the god's will help them shut it, since after the Athena Parthenos is returned the children won't keep fighting and the god's could be both Greek and Roman. I think with the god's help no one would have to stay behind the doors. I sincerely don't think it's Percy though, Riordan would have a lot of angry fans on his hands (me included).

Hayden I love this review so much that I want to just use it. I can't contain my emotions. I literally JUST finished the book. Not even a minute ago. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Rifda Whut! I really-really-really got into your emoticons (pics).. I do not like the cliffhanger too :'S

message 38: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili i can not wait for the new book to come out

Mirandah Boyer I felt like video #4 when i finished this book. :{

message 40: by Gothsaku (new) - added it

Gothsaku this is why I dont know if I should wait till the series is over before starting heroes of olympus

Julia Jankowska It's not so bad for you guys. I'm from Poland and polish translation "The House of Hades" will be published month later after the english version. It's just so sad that for over a month I will live with a thought that this book is somewhere behind the sea and I DON'T HAVE IT.

message 42: by Gothsaku (new) - added it

Gothsaku well in Argentina usually is pretty much the same,the translation takes a month or so after its published,but I always read books in english,so luckily I wont have to wait.

message 43: by Kola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kola THIS MUST BE THE BEST BOOK I READ IN MY LIFE!!! Love. It. Love it!

message 44: by Kola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kola Really like ur review, btw.

message 45: by (new) - rated it 5 stars

❀ Thank You. This is exactly how I felt about this. Just, Thank you.

Darkphoenix I totally agree with you where Jason is concerned...

message 47: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine MM The part if your review that showed in my book list was a spoiler in and if itself. Quit it. That is just not ethical.

message 48: by Sydney (new)

Sydney what pictures are you talking about?

message 49: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate I totally agree with your review except for the thing about Annabeth's POV.

Violet Really can't wait for the next book.

« previous 1