Roxane's Reviews > Les jardins de la lune

May 09, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in August, 2006

Book one of the Malazan book of the fallen... I've been told the greatest things about this author and series and I admit to liking the book, but I'm still undecided regarding the fact of reading the coming ones in the series (which is quite long I think... book 7 planned for next year and book 8 for the year after according to fantasticfiction.co.uk. The name of the series Malazan Book of the fallen perfectly illustrates to series which is presented almost more like a historical record than as a novel. I think this created some kind of distance with the character and I believe that's what disturbed me and prevented me from truly connecting with the characters... that and the complexity of the world itself and the creatures that inhabit it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les jardins de la lune.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I read this one several years ago and I really can't remember anything about it! Not a good sign eh? The ones I've forgotten about I'd like to read again; sometimes you read them at the wrong age or time.

Roxane I think you're right about being the right age and it being the right time to read a book. I will give this series another try someday, if only because people keep telling me that it's wonderful once you get passed the whole info dump part and you get more familiar with the world.
Similarly, I'm set on giving China Mieville another try whose style I struggled with for about 200 pages before giving up... for vary different reasons than Erikson... for Mieville, I was simply bored and couldn't understand where the story was going.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I struggled through Perdido Street Station but was determined to finish it because I loved some of the concepts. Then I read The Scar and it was a much better book I think, easier to read, less bogged down with scienc etc., and so so original! I've only read it the once but it's one of my favourite books. Iron Council was good too - it takes more of a political ideology angle. So I do recommend Mieville, I hope you give him another shot :)