Michele's Reviews > Aries Rising

Aries Rising by Bonnie Hearn Hill

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: ya
Read in October, 2011

I bought this book at our school book fair because it was on clearance for $2.50. With Scholastic book fairs, that does not always mean something negative, but it does in this case. I have a weakness for teen romance, but this story isn't romance at all. It is all astrology, and pretty much drivel.

Logan finds an astrology book in her parents' old things, and all of sudden she is more confident and can solve all kinds of problems including getting the boy of her dreams to pay attention to her because she has "figured them out with astrology." For example, Logan figured out that Nathan needs to be praised according to his sun sign of Leo, so she sets out to do just that and thus win him over. I cannot like a character who advocates pretense in order to win a boy. Why would she even like someone who needed her to essentially make up praise for him. Gack!

Next, she sets out to solve a spree of vandalism in her school by identifying the gang members through astrology. Seriously.

This is not a magic or fantasy book. This is book about a high school student discovering astrology and applying to all aspects of her life, from boys to friends to families to journalism contests. Both the romance and the intrigue are weak.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aries Rising.