Katie's Reviews > State of Wonder

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Oct 21, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from October 02 to 12, 2011 , read count: 1

After reading a lot of 'blah - just okay' books... this book was phenomenal. I have recommended it to just about anyone looking for a "goodread."

I loved the energy of this book, I loved the suspense that this book brough out, I loved the story line, I loved all the twists, I loved the adventure and I loved how much I was really able to imagine what was going on - I felt like I was right there in the Amazon with the characters because the author does such a good job at involving you in the plot and really being so descriptive and emotional.

This book starts out by Marina finding out that a co-worker had died in the amazon while trying to go down and assess the progress of their latest research study. Marina was therefore volunteered to take his place and find out (a) what happened to Anders and (b) find out the progress of the miracle fertility drug that the company was working on down in the depths of the amazon. During Marinas adventure she meets such wonderful characters and learns so much about Brazilians - especially the amazons. This fictitous place was so beautifully explained that it felt like I had visited here and knew just exactly what Marina was experiencing through her ups-and-downs of this adventure. Don't think that this is an "Indiana Jones" type book - because if you do, you will be very wrong. This book leads you a long and you are certain that you know what is going to happen next, but the author keeps changing direction and surprising you with turns that you never saw coming. She completely goes out of the ordinary and keeps you guessing at what the next big climax will be. Ann Patchett keeps you involved until the very end.

The very last like 4 or 5 pages left me thinking that the author "just wanted to finish the book" instead of really keeping with her pace of having you guessing what would happen at the end. It left you creating your own ending, wondering what would happen in the next 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, and even 2 years. I like books that let you "think" and imagine the possibilities that lay ahead for Marina. However, I was slightly disappointed at the way she ended you there wanting you to grasp onto something else.

I truly stand by my comment that this book was a breath of fresh air after all the mediocre books that I had just finished reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read State of Wonder.

10/10/2011 page 253