melanie (lit*chick)'s Reviews > The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn

200819
Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: cookbooks-foodie
Read from October 04 to 06, 2011

From the description you might think this is another one of those preachy food books, glomming on to the latest in guilt tripping readers about their shoddy diets and lack of a sustainable farm in their backyard. Well, it isn't. Author Flinn does tackle the problems of modern shopping and consumption, but she comes by it honestly. Her authentic approach to changing the way these nine women (and this reader) think about cooking is refreshing and accessible. The experiment - to follow her students into their pantries followed by a series of basic cooking classes - works because Ms.Flinn is passionate and relatable. She understands the limits of the typical home cook - budget, time, skillset- and is able to weave a narrative around each of these obstacles that is helpful rather than annoying. Ms. Flinn's gentle way with her students encourages them and readers, while honoring their circumstances. I found her to be an incredibly thoughtful instructor and writer.

I loved this book and am planning to reread as a reminder that real food is always a better choice over the quick fix. It is worth it to mash my own potatoes, bread my own chicken tenders, and dress my own salad. You know how I love a good foodie book, and this one has become an instant classic on my shelves.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen Counter Cooking School.