Bonnie's Reviews > Atonement

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Jul 13, 13

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance, 1001, adult, owned-book, literary-fiction, book-to-film-or-tv, full-of-wonderful, read-in-2013, war
Read from June 25 to July 05, 2013

'How guilt refined the methods of self-torture, threading the beads of detail into an eternal loop, a rosary to be fingered for a lifetime.'

I very rarely pick up a book if I've already seen the movie. Sure, there are likely to be differences but the experience is still spoiled for me. I had to make an exception with Atonement because I adored the movie but I could see how much more the story would shine and benefit from text. And shine did it ever.

Usually I complain about over-descriptiveness in stories, and this was definitely descriptive, yet the author possesses a skill in writing that is completely captivating. He sets the scene with ease and transports you into the very midst of it. His words envelop you and leave you mesmerized. I could go on and on regarding the beauty of this story and the multitude of emotions it managed to evoke in me but put simply, this book was a breath of fresh air.

I've been told this is the best to expect from Ian McEwan but I will still eagerly dive into more of his works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atonement.

06/25/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/27/2013 page 106
30.0% "This is so deliciously wordy, I love it." 4 comments
06/28/2013 page 126
35.0% "'Their friendship had become vague and even constrained in recent years, but it was still an old habit, and to break it now in order to become strangers on intimate terms required a clarity of purpose which had temporarily deserted them.'"
06/29/2013 page 150
42.0% "'All she had to do now was discover the stories, not just the subjects, but a way of unfolding them, that would do justice to her new knowledge. Or did she mean, her wiser grasp of her own ignorance?'"
06/30/2013 page 179
50.0% "Sigh"
07/05/2013 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (new)

Whitney what do you think so far? I haven't decided on whether or not to add it to my bookshelf.

Bonnie I haven't read but a few pages but it's well-written, I can tell that much.

honeybee i really enjoyed this book.

message 4: by Gillian (new)

Gillian I loooooove this book, but I think it destroyed me.

Bonnie Gillian wrote: "I loooooove this book, but I think it destroyed me."

I watched the movie already so I knew it was coming but still...If I wasn't at work, I'd totally be crying right now. hahaha

message 6: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa And added. My TBR pile thanks you ^_^

Bonnie It's a pretty fantastic book when you're in a literary mood. Have you seen the movie??

message 8: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa I have. Lawd, that ending. Also, me likey James McAvoy.

Bonnie Oh, yes. Me too. Even though the ending is now spoiled for you (as it was for me) I think it helps get you through the book because it's excessively descriptive. But I think since you know what to expect, it helps you understand the reasoning for it. A lot of time is spent from Briony's perspective and it really brings to light why she did what she did. Plus, the book doesn't have the "shock" that the ending of the movie had.

I don't usually read the books after I've seen the movie but I think in this case it was a benefit.

message 10: by Navessa (new) - added it

Navessa Nice. I'm usually in the same boat with books and movies or books and TV shows. My sister is of the same opinion as you on this one so that only furthers my desire to read it as she and I have pretty similar tastes in literature too.

Bonnie Awesome! Well I do hope you enjoy it.