D.S. Mattison's Reviews > Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks

Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks by Friedrich Nietzsche

U 50x66
Jun 05, 2008

Recommended for: lovers of presocratics and Nietzsche
Read in June, 2008

If Reginald Allen's treatment of the early philosophers is concise, then Nietzsche's is illuminating. This book is not only about the certain thoughts of certain men, but rather it is about how their personalities and lifestyles were shaped by these same thoughts. Nietzsche claims that nowhere today can we find a person who has such conviction as these men did, however absurd their ideas might seem to us now. More important than his discussion of trends in ancient philosophy is the explosive emergence of Nietzsche's own thoughts on the philosophical way of life. What results is a kind of ethics for the philosopher. This is by far one of Nietzsche's most accessible texts. He wrote it while still under Shopenhauer's spell, but behind the boyish adoration we see the greater man beginning to emerge. Read this before The Birth of Tragedy (or any other of his works) and after a biography on Nietzsche's life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks.