Alice's Reviews > Grave Witch

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-paranormal
Recommended for: Can't say I would, really
Read in October, 2011

This book was super, ultra highly recommended by Felicia Day, who I just started following, so I was like, why not. I've dipped a bit into urban fantasy and I have to say it's not really my thing. In this case, what makes it not my thing is the romance, which is so fucking annoying I have to curse. The main love interest Falin, who I take from reading the other reviews has all the fangirls swooning, is borderline abusive: doesn't take no for an answer, is super physically aggressive/emotionally withdrawn/angry, and blows very hot/cold. Not my idea of a dreamboat. The poor heroine, who is pretty cool overall, spends a lot of time stumbling about half dead and exhausted. Let the girl get some sleep! (This is also what bugs me about Twilight, that the main character is supposedly so strong, but comes off as weak).

But I did enjoy the various magical conceits of the book.

The weird thing is that I read the sequel anyway because I wanted something light, and I really like it so far, so I will continue to read this series. It works better as an adventure without too much romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Witch.