Britt's Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

May 11, 08

bookshelves: fiction, relationships, fantasy-sci-fi, romance, identity, apocalyptic
Read in May, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I originally had not planned on even reading this book because the Twilight series instills much rage within my soul, but I was in a dry spell for reading, so I decided to give it a try. I have to say I really enjoyed it much more than the Twilight series. I have seen a lot of people complain about how slow the beginning was, but I didn’t really notice. It sucked me in pretty quickly. It was very clearly a Stephenie Meyer book, though, which did lead to certain amounts of anger and eyes rolling nearly out of my head.

---

My biggest complaint with Stephenie Meyer is her romantic plots. I feel like I’ve accidentally picked up a Harlequin romance. It is super cheesy and super melodramatic. It makes my brain hurt. Here’s an example: “I stared into Jared’s eyes, and the strangest thing happened. All the melting, melding, welding that I had just been through was shoved aside, into the smallest part of my body, the little corner that I took up physically. The rest of me yearned toward Jared with the same desperate, half-crazed hunger I’d felt since the first time I’d seen him here. This body barely belonged to me or to Mel—it belonged to him” (595, ARC). WHAT! First, horribly cheesy. Second, nobody but you owns your body, and if you find it romantic to think otherwise, that is unhealthy. Let’s learn some emotional and physical independence!

What the hell is up with underage characters and older men?! Why could the females not be slightly older? This is supposedly being marketed as an adult book, so maybe it’s a bit alienating to make your main character(s) 16 when she first meets Jared who was 26, then 17 when she was starting in a new body (which they thought was younger!) when Ian is in his mid-20’s (I am guessing).

I’m just glad the romantic interests were not supposed to be seen as perfect. They had similar flaws as Edward & Jacob, but we were not reminded every 20 seconds how easily they dazzled everyone. Jared can barely stand Wanderer for most of the book. He would kill her easily if it weren’t Mel’s body. He is cruel and violent towards her. Ian is the first to physically assault her. And then in the end he does it again, while also being a bit violent toward Sunny & Jared. Of course, Ian ends up pretty near perfect with his perfect understanding and perfect kindness and perfect love. But I will accept this because I think that his perfect personality fits with the gentle, loving, peaceful personality of Wanderer.

---

While still cheesy, there were bits that were not romance-based that were emotionally compelling. I felt Wanderer’s fear about what she had to do in the end. In the tunnel on the way to Doc for the last time, when she asked Jared where everyone slept when it rained, my heart ached for her. I thought that was a lovely way of noting how much she still really wanted to find out about this world and how much she was going to miss and that life was going to go on without her. I know, I know, we are being emotionally manipulated, because if you don’t know how it’s going to end before you even pick it up, you haven’t read enough in life. But if you put yourself in the character’s place when she has a very clear idea of what is going to happen, it’s pretty sad.

---

The thing that made me love this is that it is not a romance. It is a story about humanity with romance thrown in. I like looking at humanity through alien eyes. I like learning what it means to be human with Wanderer. I like the interactions between Mel and Wanderer. I like that Wanderer picked up sarcasm from Mel. I love how absolutely confused she initially is by humans. She views humans as violent, hateful creatures. She is confused when they feed and protect her. This completely goes against her view of humanity.

I like how we perceive the humans through her eyes, how we get an idea of their motives from her which she is normally wrong about, and then we slowly see the change. This is seen especially with Doc.

I enjoyed seeing how Wanderer reacted to humans and how her perception of them changed. She goes from being terrified of humans to constantly surprised and confused by how good they end up being to loving them and embracing her own humanity. But throughout it she is ashamed of betraying her kind and feels like a traitor. She constantly second guesses herself, whether it’s in favor of the humans or the souls. It’s not until the end when she really accepts that maybe what she does is wrong, but if it brings about good then it’s the best thing for her to do.

---

I like the question of how much of yourself comes from some ethereal personality/soul and how much comes from your physical body. What makes us human? What parts of us do people fall in love with? Are we more physical, spiritual, emotional? It’s a bit cheesy (have I said that enough?), but I like the idea portrayed when Ian says, “It’s not the face, but the expressions on it. It’s not the voice, but what you say. It’s not how you look in that body, but the things you do with it” (p. 397, ARC). And then we get to see Wanderer in two different bodies which change her a bit. We have weak v. strong, etc. When in Mel’s body, Wanderer feels a physical longing for Jared but an emotional one for Ian. After she is put in a new body, she still loves Jared. Melanie occasionally seems overly familiar with Ian before remembering who she is. Jared stares searchingly and confusedly at Wanderer. What makes someone who they are? What part of a person do others connect with?

---

There are a lot of small touches that really pleased me. I love how people act and react in this book.

I thought it was hilarious when Wes (?) said, “You may have taken the planet, but you’re losing this game,” when they were playing soccer. That's just funny to me. If you can't use humor to cope with the apocalypse, you'll never make it.

A reaction that rings completely true is when, after Wanderer walks in on the dissections and is absolutely horrified, the guys are confused about why she is so upset when they were sure to cover the bodies so she couldn’t have seen anything. However, they only covered the human bodies. They still see the souls as alien and other which negates understanding and compassion.

I love what happens in the following bit: “’Ah,’ the seeker’s familiar voice moaned from the human body. ‘Ah.’ / The room went utterly silent. Everyone looked at me, as if I were the expert on humans” (p. 553, ARC). Of course that is how they would react when she is the one who knows how to bring the humans back!

---

One theme of the book is belonging. What makes one belong? Wanderer does not think she belongs in the cave because she is not human. Many of the humans agree. But she becomes part of the community, and her friends, who have gotten to know her and thus care about her, believe she belongs. Jeb never calls her ‘it’, and as the others get to know her they stop doing this. Lacey is instantly accepted by many of the humans because she is human (or becomes human again). But she has a hateful personality, and most of the main characters do not like her. Jeb refers to her as ‘that creature’. So what makes us belong somewhere?

---

I think the characterization is actually not terrible.

Ian, for instance, initially comes off as cruel and violent (he tries to kill her), but he’s just reacting to his world being taken over by beings who want to basically kill all humans. We see that he has the capacity to be kind, to gain perspective, to learn to understand. Granted, it seemed a bit incongruous to go from Killer to Most Compassionate & Loving Person Alive Ever in such a short time, but I'll take what I can get from Meyer.

Even Kyle is developed, though it mostly comes up in the end. Initially, he is just the villain of the story, but once Sunny is brought in we see that, yeah, he is rash and selfish and arrogant and angry, but he can be gentle and kind. And we don’t see this 180 done on his character where all of a sudden, out of the blue, he is capable of love. We know he had a girlfriend before this all started. Someone, at some point, must have seen some good stuff in him. And his grief at losing his world is manifest through anger and violence towards those who destroyed it. Sunny looks at him as her protector, but he doesn’t jump into a relationship with Sunny. He wants Jodi back. But through his interactions with Sunny, he gains understanding. He is confused by her reaction to initially meeting him and is surprised he can be so kind to her. He is compassionate when she realizes what is going to happen and is terrified, he didn’t realize it would be that hard. Once Jodi doesn’t come back, he has Sunny put back in her body, and he takes care of her. But he’s confused by it all; he doesn’t know what he’s doing or how to have a relationship with her. As shocked as I am by this, Meyer is able to create a character that grows but still remains himself.

---

I did have a problem with the ending. It’s just too neat and happy. While I was amused and pleased that Jared held a knife to Doc to get him to save Wanderer, it’s way too pat of an ending. Of course, you knew it would happen from the beginning, but I have to wonder whether it would be a better ending to just let her die. She’s lived, she’s learned, it’s her time to go. Life and love go on even in the face of death, as Meyer reminds us numerous times. Show us how the humans cope, how they do on their own once she’s gone. Of course, she is the main character of the book, so maybe allowing her to continue learning how to be human is not such a bad thing. And we know how Meyer hates making her characters suffer any type of consequence...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.

Cathy You captured everything about the book that I wanted to say but couldn't. Those love scenes were over the top, but Wanderer's character definitely made up for it. She was great and the conflict with her and Melanie was terrific. I had to give the book five stars because of the amount of times I cried. If a book can play with my emotions that much, it must be a good read.
Excellent review of an almost perfect book! Thanks!

Britt I'm glad you enjoyed the book and my review! I really liked this one much more than the Twilight series, I think she just did such a better job writing and creating a complex world and adding depth to the story. I heard she might be turning it into a series, so I am looking forward to any other books she might write about this world. :)

Elizabeth I really enjoyed your review.

Nikki Boisture This was an excellent review, you said everything I've been thinking about this book. The Host was far and away better than the Twilight series, which, like you, I have a love/hate relationship with.

I've wondered about the state of Stephenie Meyer's marriage that makes her think about romance like she does!

Britt Thanks :) Her idea of romance is definitely my main point of contention with her. Why does she think that and why are girls following her lead?!

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Great review, Britt. I agree on all counts. Myers has many strengths (and she's hooked me as a reader) but several consistent weaknesses/oddities in her stories. The age of her female protagonists bothers me when they're paired with the older guys unnecessarily... and when Myers' calls so much attention to that, it's very odd. Twilight i too enjoyed with gritted teeth, but enjoyed nonetheless... and there it made sense for Bella to be young and Edward to be so advanced... but in this story, it doesn't really matter.... so, why? Especially with Pet/Wanderer/Wanda at the end. That pissed me off. Like, really, can you just make her 21 or something, at least? They had a choice, and they chose a minor.

But her grasp on humanity, and how outsiders would view us, is very, very interesting. Particularly in the beginning, i was enjoying the concept that peace-loving individuals thought they could make our world better since we can be so destructive... yet they do it by essentially wiping out the essence/spirit of a species. And, she did a good job of delving into the depths of our emotions and motivations.

I, too, enjoyed the comment made during the soccer game... a very human thing to say. We are odd creatures, for sure, and Myers is quite perceptive of that.

The ending.... yes, it could've been quite strong to let Wanderer go as she pleased, but Myers brings out an interesting point regarding the differences within our own human bodies, and how that can affect a personality. It adds quite a bit of depth to her points about human variety and the consistent struggle that Wanderer already had in her previous host body. But I also found myself strangely not really liking the new body/figure as much as when she was Wanda in Melanie. She didn't seem as much like Wanda anymore... not as strong on many levels. She was a different person who i didn't care for as much... but, that's interesting.

Anyway, great review, again. Thorough and well-thought out.

Britt Jen,

You are absolutely right about the end! That is something I thought of. I did like how she took a more integrated approach to the body/soul question instead of looking at it as a duality between the two.

I didn't like Wanda as much in her new body either, I think she was definitely a weaker personality. But I guess that's one positive of making her so young. At least she has time to grow into a stronger person :P

Jenny Britt,

Great review! I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments on the themes of humanity and what it means to be human vs. alien, and belonging. For me, the entire book was framed around Wanderer's inability to belong even with her own species - she never finds a home planet or a partner or a family she loves until she gets to earth, and even then it's only with humans! But before she realizes she loves her makeshift family of humans, she spends most of the book trying to minimize her impact on them out of the sense that she doesn't belong and that they (at least, most of them) will never accept her as one of them. While I too think the ending is somewhat too neat (I was actually expecting her to give herself to Motherhood!), I think it was an appropriate ending in that it ties up these themes of what it means to be human and of belonging to a culture/family/lover. It's crucial that it was Jared, a human, who ultimately makes the decision that Wanda not be allowed to just die, rather than Wanda choosing to stay herself - she finally gets acceptance from the one person who should want her around the least, plus the other members of the community who never trusted her accept her now that she is no longer holding Melanie captive and because of all the significant things she has done for their community. At the end, Wanda has a home and a family, plus there is hope that other "souls" and humans are living in harmony as well. Makes me wonder if Meyer ever envisioned the souls leaving Earth at all or rather integrating with humans. I'm still wondering what the "right" answer is to the central question of the souls' very nature - is it right/wrong to be a parasite, or is it okay so long as the host has no identity/soul/personality/voice of its own? The latter seems to be the conclusion Meyer has come to, but it still doesn't solve the problem of Earth's occupation...

Britt Jenny,

While I was glad Jared was the one to save her, I really hadn't thought it through any further than that. Thanks for the thoughts on what his actions signify! I think that is a really great way to show that Wanderer does finally belong.

Also, I am still puzzled by how the humans and souls could live in harmony considering what the souls need to do to survive. When she paints the picture of possible harmony with the soul parents and human child, that really bothered me. You cannot have souls without taking over another life form. How would they continue their existence on earth if they weren't taking over humans? Even taking over babies is pushing out another consciousness. So, I guess she shows us the possibility of peace, but I'm not buying it. And if the mass suicide of the plants on that one planet is any indication, no life form is happy to host the souls. It's an interesting dilemma, because the souls seem like a nice bunch of people and we get to know one of them, but they are still existing through a process that violates and destroys another life.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for this good review. I am trying very hard not to buy this book as I have already spent too much on the Twilight series. I didn't find them to be as bad as a Harlequin romance which I have always refused to read but I did feel that Bella was masochistic. (and her view of Edward as being so perfect a little too sick) I was actually unable to put them down and kept buying the next one. I hope to keep reading your reviews and RESIST. I do feel that Bella's behavior was very typical for many teenage girls.
Alice

message 11: by Mabs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mabs I adored this review! Thank you so much.
I really should start viewing books a bit more like you.
I enjoyed this book very very much, I wasn´t expecting it, I was just reading it because I liked the cover. But it was much much deaper than the Twilight saga and it didn´t give teenage girls any other crazy ideas on love - honestly, if another of them compares themselves with Bella I´m gonna be sick.
I´m bothered by the "Melanie´s body belonging to Jared" thing, and I really loved the scene where Ian says he cares for her, Wanda, the silver centipedes, and not Melanie´s body - but I, too, couldn´t quite understand why she had to bring up again her lying about her very young age. Maybe it´s got something to do with the follow-up.
The ending was unexpected to me, so I´m one of those who haven´t read enough. I was really expecting death to make it all this heartbreaking story on a soul that gave her life up for the humans. But what I thought could be told from the survival was that humans are not perfect. Wanderer was a soul, she did all the right things, all the ethical things. The humans were humans, and therefore selfish creatures. They didn´t really care about Pet´s mother suffering did they? They still didn´t care for other souls, only Wanda. Which is both flattering, but... odd. Bugs me at least. And also that Wanda doesn´t care much about the mother´s suffering - SHE was supposed to care. Again, maybe that´s up for the next book.
Welll, thanks again,

Lovemypurpleparents BRAVO BRAVO! I was going to read it all but i got half way before i decided to give you an awesome comment!! Thats the exact way i feel bout twilight! Im 40 pgs away till the end of eclipse!! YAY and NO YAy! I want to finish but i was to savor every single word stephanie wrote. I seems to make a whole inside of me too, like bella, but not for reasons for edward, for reasons for the whole series, the whole book, all the characters.. the story. If i don't read at least 5 chapters a night before i sleep i get frusterated because i want to read soo much! A fantabulous author makes a fantabulous book!

Alison I TOTALLY agree about the ages of the characters. What is with that?? Okay Melanie and Jared I could understand. That sort of thing might totally happen in a future where there aren't that many humans left. But then on top of that they actually get to pick Wanda's body and they pick a 17 year old girl who then is going to be with Ian? It's a little bit creepy really. And at that point I was just like -- yeah, she definitely has a weird obsession with older men and (much) younger women. I understand we were supposed to believe they needed to find a body that didn't have that many human memories to hold Wanda back from taking over the body, but Jodi was lost at 28. Weird. Also, if you think about it even Sunny was supposed to be a very young childlike soul with a much older (mentally) Kyle. It just makes things feel very weird. I don't get it.

message 14: by Cici (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cici I just want to tell you that your review said EVERYTHING I thought of the book, you said it completely perfectly!
I honestly love all of Stephanie Meyers books and
I do have issues with ALL of her books, there is always a few things I don't like about them, but I love the lifestyles of the vampires or werewolves(most interesting) and the aliens.
Bella bothered me she always seemed like she was a downer and never really happy and she had no interests or goals in life, besides Edward, but every other character did, Alice liked fashion and hair, Jacob liked cars, etc. I thought how she created the vampires and werewolves were fascinating.
In The Host, I couldn't STAND Jared, he was angry at anyone and just seemed like such a miserable person to me, he fought everyone, he was so violent.. but what you said about the book was right on.

Jennifer I also read the Host prior to the Twilight series, Steph's writing is very unique and the Host is what made me want to seek out more of her books. I am pleased with all her writings, and I try not to go bonkers over the things that just make me jittery with confusion, but then I ask myself-- "why would the writer do that, what was the point, what can I learn from that?" Usually I figure something out to make it so I in some capacity understand what the writer was trying to convey... and when I can't I just beat the book against my head lol. Your comment was very in-touch with the book, and I related to alot of what yous aid. Good job.

Erika I am listening to this on CD as I go to work, so far its a great review.

Ariel This review was great ! I agree with all the the things you said except I am very glad she didn't die at the end , esp. since there is the possibility that it'll be turned into a series . I enjoyed this much more than the Twilight series . (:

Janice Excelent review! You captured everything that I liked in the book. One thing I kept thinking when reading was: Being human is to live in paradox. Stephenie puts it into an interesting perspective when she says that, maybe, for us to feel so much love, we have to know the opposite feeling, which is hate... I just loved this!
Another thing that is extremely interesting is that Wanda loves humans so much at the ending that she is ready to give up her own existence. She understands that she'll always be a parasite (and at the ending, humans are very comfortable with it, which is not so understandable, since she is still a parasite), and she doesn' want it anymore.
This book is so much better than Twilight series and I think it's because she did't put all the love cliches. Twilight is predictable. Bella is scarily dependent on Edward, and none of the characters on The Host seem to be like this. The romance on The Host is well constructed and progressive, not something extremely passionate and out of the blue like Twilight. Another thing, the aliens are more real in this book. Stephenie's Vampires are too perfect, their ethics are much better than humans and well... Vampires aren't supposed to be like this, right? And, above all, indestructible. That doesn't match any Vampire stories. The aliens are something she invented, their nature is order and harmony, it's easier to go with it.
Of course, it's weird that Jared kisses Mel the first time they meet, but well, ok, I can buy it, considering they thought they were the only humans alive.
I loved the way she put humans and our nature. And I love that the book is much more than just lame romance!

Megan that is it in a nutshell... and i completely agree with you in regards to the ending. i believe she left it a bit dry.

message 20: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin I totally agree with you it was really cheesy

message 21: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew hmmm I guess I should spend the 15$ and finally read this god help me

Jessie R Awesome review! I agree, much better then twilight.. They should have made this book into a movie instead.. It was gag worthy in Twilight the constant descriptions of Edward being 'so handsome' and 'so dazzling'! My mum loved it but she loves those harliquin books as well.. Although Maria.V.Snyders study and glass series are Harliquin and they are fantastic!

Karyn This was a great review. You really hit the nail on the head. Apparantly this is to be made into a movie aswell.

message 24: by Anna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna When Stephenie ever going to stop writing this trashy love/vampire novels? I heard she has stopped but what she has done to the world can never be taken away unless you brain-wash every single Twilight Fans but other-wise then that, you just simply can't do it. If you ever do brain-wash every single Twilight fan, what about the posters, books, etc., what are you doing to do with them? burn them? tear up each and every page of Twilight, New Moon and Breaking Dawn by hand? if you do that, what about Stephenie who write the series what will happen to her? you can't put her in prison because you'll have to have a reason.

message 25: by Trix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trix I really enjoyed your review. It was very detailed and highlighted the major aspects discussed in the book, both good and bad. The story really impressed me, so I can't be too harsh on the negative aspects within :D
Also, there was a member querying why Wanderer chose to remain in Pet after all? My guess would be that, despite being altruistic and all around good, as she gradually changed the humans around her, she too was changed, gaining just a bit of human selfishness to make her want to stay on earth along with her partner, Ian.

Britt Trix,

I think that's a good way to view Wanderer's choice to stay: She had found something worth staying for and didn't want to give it up. If I recall from the book, I believe there was also not an issue with the body because the girl's own mind could not be recovered and they had sent the soul that originally occupied the body to another planet. So, there were no moral problems for Wanderer to remain in the body from that aspect.

message 27: by Trix (last edited Mar 01, 2011 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trix Britt,

Yes, they do mention that the girl's mind could not be recovered and that the former soul had been sent to another planet. So that left only one obvious choice.

And, if she had indeed died, the story would have been left in the air, since everything is seen through Wanderer's eyes. Most readers (myself included) would have felt dissatisfied by such an abrupt ending (or at least I hope they would have felt that way). Not to mention that I doubt Stephenie Meyer is the kind of author to go for sad endings.

Britt Trix,

I absolutely agree Stephenie Meyer is not the type to go for a sad ending. I'm sure lots of people would hate for Wanderer to die, and I do like her as a character, but I guess maybe I'd just like to see SM take that step into something darker. She writes about these things that should be dark and difficult and makes them all rainbows and sunshine (maybe a slight exaggeration. But I have to mention the vampires that sparkle...). I think it could have worked well as an ending and added some powerful emotion to the story, but of course that is not the ending we got. So I guess we will just have to wait to see what she does with the next book.

message 29: by Francesca (new)

Francesca I agree it ended so dry and a little dull and thats why I thought she was going to make a squeal I enjoyed this book more than the Twilight Saga but as I'm seeing now SM is making the spin-off novels of the Twilight Saga in Edward's point of view so I guess shes not going to make a squeal :(

Maggy i so agree send me a friend request sence im new to this and have no ifea how

Andra I hated the ending too. But not because she Wanderer didn't die. I hated the new body she was put into. I was digging the bad-assness she had in Mel's body. The new one was too, boring, and...fragile.

Nikki I absolutely love this book! Thanks for the review. It made me cry again just to reminisce the happenings in the book. Great Review! I totally like it!

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Douglas not the only one who carnt stand twilight then...yey

message 34: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn such a good review <3 so perfect. It makes me want to go re-read the book( I probably will.) Let's hope Stephanie doesn't butcher the sequels.

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I'm not sure if I read this wrong or what, but when Wanda is in put into Melanie's body Mel's age now is actually about 20 or 21...not 17.

message 36: by Jenn (last edited Sep 09, 2011 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Kimberly wrote: "I'm not sure if I read this wrong or what, but when Wanda is in put into Melanie's body Mel's age now is actually about 20 or 21...not 17."

That's what I thought too, but I was re-reading the book and in one of the memories, soon after Mel meets Jared,it mentions that she was only 17, while Jared was 26. So You're both right.

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Jenn wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm not sure if I read this wrong or what, but when Wanda is in put into Melanie's body Mel's age now is actually about 20 or 21...not 17."

That's what I thought too, but I was re..."

Oh yeah I know about the age for the memory. I was only refering to what is considered the 'present' time in the book where she's 20 and 21 by the end.
I realized later that the review was referring to Wanda's new body as being 17, heh.

Ini Gabriel Uko hahaha! awesome review. you tried to be subjective, which is great, so that one could really see the book for what it is. i share your precise opinions and don't need to write a review of my own after all.

message 39: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Great Review as I'm sure you heard or read this before you said exactly what i was thinking. I do have a question/thought i thought that the older the person it was harder to make the uh insert if you will and there for it had to be a younger body but not to young since she did want to be with Ian and all.
I to love the comment on the soccer game, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought it was funny. One last thing i agree with the what if she died thing and all but do you remember the ending where they get back and they meet another little humane civilization? That just drove me crazy. I think Meyer should write another book and show how that plays out but oh well its up to her.

Britt Sierra wrote: "Great Review as I'm sure you heard or read this before you said exactly what i was thinking. I do have a question/thought i thought that the older the person it was harder to make the uh insert if..."

Well, that's an interesting thought about the age of the person when the soul is inserted. BUT I'm not sure if it matters since they are removing the soul that already was inserted in the body and putting in a new soul. I think if they use a body that was already taken over by a soul, it wouldn't matter the age since the previous soul would have already pushed out the human consciousness. Does that all make sense? It looks like a lot of rambling, but I hope you get my point. But I guess we'll have to see if Stephenie expands on that in later books.

message 41: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Britt wrote: "Sierra wrote: "Great Review as I'm sure you heard or read this before you said exactly what i was thinking. I do have a question/thought i thought that the older the person it was harder to make t..."

She is writing two more books you can look them up on goodreads. They already have titles and everything but that's the only news I've heard about them.

Jemma Gutierrez lol....how many hours have you spent writing your review??? but i agree with you..its pretty cheessy....lol

Cbgirl I'll be honest, I thought your response to the story was well rounded for the most part and I agree with the fact that the story in general could have been at least a little darker but, I also think you were a tad bit too cynical about the love scenes. Although I also feel that it was a touch cheesy I think in some ways it was necessary to the plot line. You are an incredibly intuitive reader though and I find it refreshing compared to a lot of people who titter about stupid things. It is hard to step back from a story and write an honest review that isn't based purely on emotion and I appreciate this. I am also a big fan of the story and got a little irritated at times but the story in itself was very well written and original which is incredibly hard nowadays.

C0c0puppeh Couldn't have said it any better!

message 45: by M (last edited Oct 10, 2012 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

M Old woman can be good looking, can't she? Body Wanderer got was only an empty shell when Petal was removed.Wanderer may live in a young body but she is much older than Jared or Ian or even Jebediah. She was alive when dinosaurs walked on Earth. So it's not entirely truth that Meyer has a fascination whith young girls and older men

Minoli i loved this. couldn't have summed up the book better (:

*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•* I was so excited to learn that they're making this book into a movie! The release date is March 29th 2013! Can't wait!

Becky I loved your review. Your thoughts are mine too and everything I wanted to say about the book you've said here.

message 49: by Di (new) - rated it 3 stars

Di This literally captures every thought (okay, maybe not literally) I had whilst reading this book. It's definitely a lot better than the Twilight books, especially the themes explored and the messages. It's not just a love story. There were parts, though, that were so typically Meyer (for example the too-perfect ending - which really bugged me) that just made me roll my eyes. But the character development was good, and the overall plot was adequate. I loved the review.

Christine Bloody awesome review. You went into perfect detail about your thoughts and you had a balanced opinion of it. A shame it had to be at the cost of some spoilers. People who haven't read the book would skip this review to read and favourite the reviews that aren't really reviews at all and already pander to people's preconceptions about what Stephanie Meyer can deliver. (Not going to mention any names.) Sad really. Thanks again for your serious treatment of this novel. I feel for Meyer who may have her future books disregarded just because of a couple of bad books before. A writer can also evolve and develop.

« previous 1