Preethi's Reviews > Go Forward with Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley

Oct 04, 11

liked it
bookshelves: religious, biography, 2011, non-fiction, read-with-dan
Read in September, 2011

I've always loved President Hinckley, and have always felt a special affinity towards him. After reading this book, it was all the more clear to me how he had a way that made everyone feel close to him. Dan and I read this together, and we were simultaneously amazed by his work ethic coupled with a focus on what is most important.

Much as I love President Hinckley, though, this wasn't my favorite so far as biographies go. While Sheri Dew is a great writer, I don't think she's the best storyteller. She did an excellent job of chronicling his life, but it felt fairly repetitive at times (yes, I understand that he did a ridiculous amount of travel and that he was very tired EVERY time but that he continued on despite his fatigue EVERY time. thank you.), while not providing nearly enough detail in others (it mentions that the Family Proclamation was announced while he was President, but how did it come about? what were President Hinckley's feelings on the 2nd official declaration and the months and years leading up to it?).

I read the biography of Spencer W. Kimball, another prophet, several years ago, and I thought it did a much better job of helping the reader understand the progression of his thoughts and feelings and relationships. Instead, this one felt more like a "journal" than a "diary" (Went to Asia. Called as apostle. Spent long hours at the office. Spoke at many many firesides.). While I got to know what he did, I didn't feel like I really got to know him all that much more than before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Forward with Faith.