CK's Reviews > Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery

Beautiful Sins by Jennifer Hampton

Oct 06, 11

Read from September 29 to October 06, 2011

Beautiful Sins is the kind of book that pulls you into its paranormal world and never lets go. I was intrigued by the unique, clever plot that I’ve never seen before in any vampire book. And I’ve read lots of them! Not only is it the future, but there’s kings, princes, a war, a military experiment gone awry, vampires, werewolves, and other paranormal creatures.

The novel is set in the year 2026. America is at war with Russia and half of the U.S. is now covered in a thick layer of dark clouds. Sixteen year old Leigha Lowery is an average teenager who loves her life, her friends, and her school in Detroit. When her mom meets a handsome physician online and decides to marry him, Leigha’s life will be changed forever. Her future stepfather (Randy) is King Royce’s personal physician, which ultimately means Leigha is forced to leave everything she knows and loves and move to the Dark Coast. (That’s the dark side of the country)

On the outside, it appears as if Leigha is living a “rags” to “riches” dream story. Leigha gets to live a privileged life and live in a mansion. But this place is far from a “dream” come. Leigha comes to learn, it’s more like living in a nightmare.

While trying to adjust to her new life and school, she notices things are not what they seem. She can’t explain what’s going on and it’s hard to accept. And things about Randy aren’t adding up either, like how he doesn’t eat food and his super human strength. As events unfold before her eyes, she discovers there is a world of mythical creatures all around her. One of my favorite parts of the book is how Leigha is drawn to the handsome king’s son, Prince Alexander. There is a special bond and connection between them. Has she found her soul mate?

I thought this was an enjoyable, gripping read with believable, enjoyable characters that you will fall in love with. I loved Leigha and thought she made the perfect heroine because she was likable and down-to-earth. But I LOVED her friend, Maria, too. (She’s Goth.) The plot is excellent and there’s witty humor that made me laugh. It’s different; something new and refreshing. I really couldn’t stop thinking about what a clever idea this was. The ending is going to leave you wanting more with a huge cliff hangar. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I’m recommending it to all my friends and family.

If you love paranormal fantasy and dystopian fiction, then give this one a try. The twists and turns (and paranormal creatures!) will take you on a most tantalizing trip. So put on your seat belt and…HOLD ON!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Sins.