Kellie's Reviews > Twisted

F 50x66
Oct 04, 2011

Read in October, 2011

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson
Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson is about the socially awkward Tyler Miller. It is his senior year of high school and after a tough summer of forced community service in response to his graffiti prank, he is ready to finish school and move on. His reputation is better after the prank and his crush finally seems to be noticing him, even if her brother is Tyler’s tormentor. After a troubling incident at a party he is invited to attend, his life starts to twist out of control. He is accused of a crime he knows he did not commit, but due to his past no one seems to believe him, especially not his abusive father who has been shamed once too many times by his son.
Twisted deals with complex problems that unfortunately a lot of teenagers are struggling with. Issues with drugs, alcohol, suicide, personal identity, sex, abuse, family, and school are all captured authentically by the author. We watch as Tyler spirals through dark solutions to his problems. Anderson writes the book in a way that is honest and true to what a troubled teenager feels as he is dragged through all this.
Although it deals with some difficult subject matter, Anderson does a great job of making Tyler seem authentic by mixing in humorous one liners that you can just imagine a teenage boy saying. This is the first time she has written from a male perspective, but she does a wonderful job. Laurie Halse Anderson is most famous for writing “Speak,” which is one of my favorite books. I would not say it is as good as that, but it is still a captivating read that is written in a style very similar to “Speak.” The blunt and often gritty truth is what I find makes her books truly great and this one is no different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twisted.

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Kiesel I've never read a book by Anderson. This caught my interest and I think I'm going to give it a shot. I also found myself looking into her, as an author, because of your fan post above this!