Logan's Reviews > Urchin of the Riding Stars

Urchin of the Riding Stars by Margaret McAllister

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: hero-adventure, speculative-fiction, animal-but-not-cat, own
Read from October 24 to November 15, 2011

I don't think Logan is ready for the Redwall books (too intense), but this was a good in-between series. And what kid-who-adores-Reepicheep could resist a swashbuckling squirrel? (He laughs with delight when I even say the phrase "swashbuckling squirrel.") There were a couple of things that were a bit difficult. The first scene is Urchin's mother giving birth to him and dying alone on the beach, which wasn't glossed over quickly enough for me. And the main evil character, who is crazy, has a recurring nightmare/waking vision of his murdered victim coming after him, which scared Logan. I explained that it was just a vision or nightmare, but I don't think that made it less real for L. Other than that, this was tailor made for L: A youngster (in this case a squirrel) longs to do something heroic, but doesn't think he can. Enter a mentor or two (two captains; a squirrel & an otter) who can help him to draw on his inner resources and provide excellent examples. Throw in a prophecy, a mission, and a despicable and sometimes ridiculous enemy and you have an adventure where the good guys win and Logan's cup is filled. Sounds pretty formulaic, but I actually enjoyed this book myself. The dialog is pretty readable and we both loved Captains Crispin & Padra. It was nice that none of the characters are carnivores, so I didn't have to read so much about killing dinner (which gets rather old in the Warrior series). Yes, hedgehogs are insectivores, but somehow killing a worm doesn't gross me out the way killing a bird does. And I especially enjoyed that you can't tell which characters are good or bad by looking at them. So often, a whole species or race is "bad" or "good," which not only eliminates some of the mystery of a story, but isn't realistic or the way I want to view the world. I liked that there are evil squirrels and good squirrels and you have to get to know them to know which is which. Also, I liked that sometimes, animals evolve from being bad to good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Urchin of the Riding Stars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new) - added it

Katharine This looks adorable. Have you tried mouseguard? It's a comic book series kinda like Redwall.

Bluelily3 Um... I thought this one was a bit more violent than Redwall in some respects. I've read most of the Redwall books, (when I was a kid) but this one horrified me a bit, even now that I'm an adult. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But I don't recall baby killing in Redwall. While there may be less violence in here than Redwall, the disturbing factor is a little higher... I don't know, depends on your kid I guess. You know him well enough. ;)

Logan Bluelily3 wrote: "Um... I thought this one was a bit more violent than Redwall in some respects. I've read most of the Redwall books, (when I was a kid) but this one horrified me a bit, even now that I'm an adult. D..."

I haven't actually read the Redwall books. It was another mom who told me they were more intense. I guess I'll pre-read one. In the Redwall books, are whole species good or bad? Or is there moral variation within a species?