Jessica Johnson's Reviews > Shine

bookshelves: 2012, to-read
Read from May 06 to 07, 2012

Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

Goodreads Description:

In this dramatic conclusion to the Shade trilogy, Aura and Zachary’s relationship sizzles as the secrets of the Shift are revealed.

Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves...even if that means betraying her own heart.

So I just finished this book at 1:30 am. I'm still not completely over it. Seriously. This entire series has had me from the get go and I am so head over heels in love with it.

This book was the perfect ending to this series. So. Completely. Perfect. I cannot stress to you enough how big of a fan girl I am with this.

What did I think?

I have to say a special thank you to Andrea at The Bookish Babe and Jaime at Two Chicks on Books who encouraged *cough "pressured" cough* me to read this series. This has become one of my all time favorite series.

Having said that, on with my review...

I will try to do this with at less spoilers as I can but if I ruin something, I'm terribly sorry!

From the very first chapter, Jeri had me freaking out. Seriously. It was pretty crazy there for a while. Once I started reading, I could not stop.

We leftShiftin a somewhat happy/sad kind of state. Things were starting to look better even though it hurt. Quite a bit actually. I am a true Logan fan. I loved him from the first book and I've loved him throughout. One of the best parts about this book is that everyone is finding some semblence of peace with Logan. It made me smile and catch a few stray tears.

I love Zachary too. Yes, he was awesome in the first two books, but guys, he was unbelievable in Shine. In a totally epic way. He was just the perfect guy. For everything. He was the strength that Aura needed.

Not that Aura wasn't strong. But in the first two, you only got a small taste of what a powerhouse she can actually be. In Shine, she breaks through with flying colors. It was so awesome to see because I KNEW she had it in her. I knew it in my core that this was going to be her book.

This book has it all. Suspense, action, emotion (soooooooo much emotion), and plenty of romance. Everything is written so beautifully. You feel EVERYTHING. I'm tearing up right now just thinking of some of the parts. *sniffles*

I cannot stress it enough that Jeri Smith-Ready is truly brilliant. Her writing is uncomparable and completely touches your heart. You literally go through every emotion in her books. Especially this series.

All I can truly say is wow. Jeri Smith-Ready blew me away.

SIDENOTE: I also read Bridge in the anthology Enthralled where it was a Mickey & Logan story while reading Shine. Holy crap. Reading that short story while reading this book, made it's effect so much more I could hardly stand it.

Favorite Quote:

Our own journeys to peace would last us the rest of our lives. But I felt one certainty as surely as I felt the earth beneath my feet. This song was one of that journey's largest steps. -Pg 234

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine.

05/06/2012 page 20
5.0% "whoa. what a trip...."
05/06/2012 page 241