Kaila's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Apr 11, 2016

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, fantasy-aficionados-challenge-2012, young-adult, gods, mythology
Read from January 11 to 14, 2012

In 2005 I was full flung into my love of the young adult genre. I've basically outgrown it now, which is pretty unfortunate really. There are a lot of good books in that genre, but I just can't get into them like I used to. That aside, for some reason this series completely passed me by. I saw the trailers for the movie and that still didn't convince me. So here we are, the books have been out for years, and I literally knew next to nothing about them besides the lady from Kill Bill had a teaser poster posing as Medusa.

I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was sucked into the story. I sat down and all of a sudden 50 pages had flown by. However, I feel that those first 50 pages were the strongest part of the novel, and about the time Percy Jackson arrived at Camp Half-Blood, my pace had slowed down quite a bit. The origin story is always my favorite! I start to get annoyed when 12-year-olds are sent on epic, death defying quests, and in this case all of the adults were like "Yup, you'll probably die. Sucks to be you." But that's just how the the Greek gods did things (i.e. were major dicks), so the age discrepancy didn't bug me all that much.

I don't know much about ancient Greece, and its mythology, and I learned quite a bit about it reading this book. For example, I had never heard of Procrustes, but quickly ran to Wikipedia to find out who he was when he was mentioned in the story. A few other reviewers have mentioned how annoyed they are when Medusa is portrayed as a monster, but hey you know, it's a mythological creature, I don't mind if we differ on opinions of what they "should" be. Like...oh I don't know, VAMPIRES. They sure have changed recently.

Honestly its obvious similarities to other recent powerhouses in the young adult genre did not bug me one bit. I found the idea to be in itself original and interesting enough that I probably let a few other things that usually bug me slide under the table.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

01/11 "Well this is incredibly readable. I sat down for dinner and all of a sudden I was 50 pages in. Awesome."
04/11 marked as: read

message 1: by Leslee (new)

Leslee Did you watch the movie? I hear it changes the story quite a bit but I thought it was mindless fun. Pierce Brosnan with a horse's legs and torso was interesting enough to make it worth it!

I find a lot of books in the 'young adult' genre would make just as good 'adult' novels if you just add a bit more graphic violence or sex in. I wonder how many 'adult' novels get trimmed down to fit in the lucrative YA market.

message 2: by Kaila (last edited Apr 27, 2012 08:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaila I haven't yet, and it's unfortunately not on Netflix instant queue. So I'll have to rent the DVD at some point.