Laura's Reviews > Creepy Urban Legends

Creepy Urban Legends by Tim O'Shei

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: reviews, childrens, ghost, horror, retellings
Recommended for: Horror fans
Read on October 05, 2011, read count: 1

If you're into really, really, really, really scary things, do what I did:

1. Turn the lights off.
2. Get into bed. Under the covers if you prefer, but it will be better without that protective cocoon.
3. Turn on a reading lamp.
4. Don't have doubts.

The last one is strange. But it's true. Most people watch scary things or read scary things with at attitude of, "I'm not gonna be scared, whatever you throw at me." But isn't the point of these creepy things to scare you? Give you that invisible finger crawling up your spine feeling? That's what I like. And that's what this book gave.

Don't except anything too scary, though. Judging from it's size, this is meant to be a little kid's book. Which is why you need to prepare yourself for being creeped out.

None of these stories were new to me, but they were told in a slightly different twist, or used some spine-tingly words. I dunno, but whatever it was, it worked. It's not the kinda thing that keeps you up at night. It's the kinda thing that you can think over and repeat the creepy parts again and again in your mind, each time having a new meaning to you. The kind of things that kids the age it's meant for wouldn't get, but you would.

And on just one last note: all but one of these stories have appeared in the CW's Supernatural. Epic show. Hook Man(though he never actually appeared in this book), Woman in White, even the bee hive but in a different light. The only one that hasn't was "When a Stranger Calls." Which was the one story that was really boring. [spoiler]I mean, the babysitter is alright and so are the kids. How is that creepy? Sure, he was close to the house. But who cares? The cops showed up and everything was all right.[/spoiler]

So if you're a hardcore horror fan and only want the best, this isn't for you. But if you like scary things and are open to new stuff, go ahead and read it! But don't except it to be too scary...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creepy Urban Legends.