Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

5112089
I feel a little late to the game getting around to finally reading this, as it seems like everyone and their aunt has already read it ahead of me. And there's not much I can add in a review that hasn't been said in all the other squillion reviews for it, but I'll just add a few thoughts.

First of all, hoorah! For once, a popular book that actually lives up to all the hype and hoopla surrounding it. I'm glad to know this book is reaching lots of readers of all ages as it really is a fantastic story. It's YA but definitely one that adults can enjoy. And I wouldn't even worry too much if SciFi or Fantasy isn't usually your thing. A good story is a good story no matter what genre and this one definitely sucks you in. It wastes no time about it either which I really appreciated. There was no dithering about before the games began. We meet Katniss, get a little glimpse of her normal every day life, and then BAM! off we go in the Games.

It also exceeded my expectations in certain areas. Although I'd been warned that I'd probably cry I wasn't expecting to be so emotionally involved quite yet, I thought that might come later in the trilogy, but it was a real roller-coaster on the emotions. So many twists, shocks, heart-pounding moments. Even knowing there's two more books didn't help at times because you get so wrapped up in it that any kind of rational thought like that goes right out the window.

"Remember, we're madly in love, so it's all right to kiss me any time you feel like it."

I loved Katniss. I thought she was a great protagonist. I can see why she has become the way she is from her harsh beginnings and it only made her more interesting to me. I feel like I've only seen a surface glimpse of other secondary characters so far like Gale, Haymitch and even Peeta to a certain extent, so I'm really looking forward to the next book to see more of them. And the way this book ends makes me glad I have the next one right here. It's not a cliffhanger, but it's an "end of part one" type ending that makes you want more more more!

I can't wait to see the movie now too to see what they've done with it. There are many visually strong scenes in the book that I think are going to look amazing. I doubt they'll ever do Katniss' dresses justice though. Just not possible.

So I'm off to read the next one now. Toodles!

5 Stars! ★★★★★
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

04/27
04/08 marked as: read

Liz (Bugetta) I can't wait to read your review! :)

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian It's got a lot to live up to after all the hype, but so far I'm loving it!

Liz (Bugetta) Lynsey wrote: "It's got a lot to live up to after all the hype, but so far I'm loving it!"

So glad it lived up to the hype! :) I think you'll like the movie. I'm going to go see it again!