Giselle's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Jan 10, 2012

bookshelves: mythology
Read from January 06 to 08, 2012

Hades and Persephone, we've all heard the story. Of all the myths, this is easily my favorite. When I saw that Everneath was a retelling of this heartbreaking tale, I was instantly attracted to it. However, I was mistaken. This is not a Persephone and Hades retelling per se, but a modernized, completely original story that is loosely based on the myths of Persephone and Eurydice. It was beautiful!

First and foremost, the character that breathes powerfully throughout this book, is the emotion. It is full of raw, pure, palpable emotions. I could constantly sense Nikki's despair. Even when stripped of all feeling, she had this hollowness that I could easily discern; a void once full of energy. She lost everything to the Everneath, and six months is an incredibly short time when you know what you're going back to. My heart was breaking for her, while holding on to a tiny flicker of hope that things would turn around.

You can't start describing Nikki without first understanding Cole. Cole is manipulative and cunning, which is capitalized by the fact that he can control emotions. He wants Nikki; Nikki loves Jack. So while her actions can seem a bit rash, even impulsive, Cole plays a big role behind these decisions. Her doubts, her pain, her fears, they're all fabricated, or at the very least, magnified by Cole. With this in play, I couldn't help but open my heart up to her. She becomes his puppet, and it's tragic. Cole and Jack are complete opposites which makes a fantastic love triangle. One you will love, and one you will love to hate.

To add to the trepidation, the story shifts from past to present in a way that leaves you feeling restless. You KNOW what's going to happen while seeing these events unfold. It keeps the story intriguing, while building anticipation for a shattering ending. Was it predictable? Yes. But was it original? Completely. This fresh take on the Persephone myth mixes the old with the new for an altogether beautiful and dark tale.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads
57 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.

01/07
01/07
53.0% "xD I'm really loving this!"
03/31 marked as: read

Kereesa Jealous!

Vidya-BooksAreMagic Me too, Kereesa! :)

Surin Great great review! This is so high on my TBR list. I just wish January 24th would just come soon.

Curious I noticed there's a #1 so is this a stand alone or a trilogy? O_O

Giselle Thank you SL! I hope you like it too! And the author's site says it's the first in a planned trilogy. =) I'm SOOO curious where it goes from here!

Surin That's really interesting! I would have never though it would ended up in a trilogy given how everyone knows how the Hades and Persephone tale ended. =/ It would be interesting to see how it goes from there

Rane Beautiful Review Giselle, Not one for the whole love triangle~ but this sounds like it moves the plot and doesn't hinger or make it a drama-filler :D

message 7: by Giselle (last edited Jan 08, 2012 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Giselle SL wrote: "That's really interesting! I would have never though it would ended up in a trilogy given how everyone knows how the Hades and Persephone tale ended. =/ It would be interesting to see how it goes f..."

Yeah, but this is not the Persephone story itself though. It's actually quite different in a lot of ways. Even the author says the connection to the Persephone myth wasn't intentional. There are definite similarities and the book talks about the myths a few times, but she made the plot her own, so she can pretty much take it anywhere.

message 8: by Giselle (last edited Jan 08, 2012 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Giselle Rane wrote: "Beautiful Review Giselle, Not one for the whole love triangle~ but this sounds like it moves the plot and doesn't hinger or make it a drama-filler :D"

Thanks Rane! I found the triangle was fine. It wasn't about a girl who can't decide which guy to cho0se haha. I found it was well done - especially since it jumps from the past to the present where Nikki's feelings are vastly different.

Kereesa Nice review! I definitely like how it's loosely based on the original myth-the author can play around so much more. This one has been catching my eye for quite a while, so I'm glad you liked it! (We have similar tastes after all :P)

Limonessa Awesome review! I really liked this book too and you perfectly captured the feeling. Very accurate about Nikki's despair.

Jasprit Great review Giselle, I wish January 24th would hurry up too! :)

Giselle @Kereesa: Thanks K! She can really do what she wants with the plot and I'm super curious what she's going to do with it! I'm also curious to see what YOU think of this one. We do have similar tastes - sometimes! :P

@Lisa: Thank you! I saw your review and I was glad I wasn't the only one who realized it wasn't an actual retelling

@Jasprit: xD the 24th can take it's time I have SO much to do before then. Bahaha. Thanks chicky!

~Tina~ Great review!! I really wish I could have enjoyed this book, but I'm still curious about what happens next:)

message 14: by AH (new) - added it

AH Great review, Giselle. I was intrigued by the Hades and Persephone angle. I just finished reading another book that was a reworking of the Hades/Persephone story. I'll have to add this one.

Giselle Thank you ladies!

@Tina: Yes I'm Really curious about the next book! It could be very interesting!

@AH: If you love mythology, even if it's not totally based on the Persephone myth, there's lots of myth facts and connections to it. I'm curious to see what you make of it.

♥Rachel♥ Excellent review Giselle. I loved this one too. I think you detailed perfectly that Nikki made bad decisions because of the bad influence of Cole. He feed her insecurities that were already there. :)

Giselle Thank you Rachel! I wonder if she'll be any different in the next book.

message 18: by Shreya (new) - added it

Shreya OOOO! I really want to read this book! Love your review :) thank you

Giselle Thank you Shreya! :)

message 20: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Wow, this sounds amazing. Beautiful review. I love Greek myth and to see that this is inspired by it, makes me want to read it even more.

Rebecca You captured the feeling I have exactly. I can't believe how heart-wrenching this book is. *sigh*

Giselle Thank you!

I'm glad you loved it, Rebecca!