Rubysbooks's Reviews > Chasin' Eight

Chasin' Eight by Lorelei James

Oct 04, 11

Read in January, 2011

Lorelei James' cowboys are the sexiest I've ever read so far. Chase McKay isn't any different than all the other cowboys from the McKay family.

The reason I loved Chase was because he was different than the other McKay cowboys. He's not impossibly tall, he's just 5'10, and it's obvious that at times it bothers him a little. Also I felt that the person he was at the ending of the book was much more mature than the one he was at the beginning of the book. So, unlike some of the McKays, he grew up in this book. Don't get me wrong, all the McKays grew up and matured just fine, but most of them matured over the course of a few books.

After one too many wild nights and mistakes, Chase McKay faces a dilemma: grow up and save his career as a professional bull rider, or continue partying and lose everything he's worked for over the years. So he decides to go home, see if he can get his head straight and give celibacy a try. All would be well, if his new roommate, Ava Cooper, wouldn't be so attractive.

Ava Cooper is a Hollywood actress who's had a bad luck with men. When her most recent boyfriend is outed as gay, paparazzi start stalking her. She, too, decides it's time for some hiding and rediscovering, so she goes to Wyoming, where supposedly no one knows her and no one will bother her. Also she sets a challenge for herself: see if she can satisfy a red-blooded man and the first man she sets eyes on is Chase McKay.

What I loved about this book was how the relationship between Ava and Chase developed. Because of his month of celibacy, Chase wanted to try and become friends with Ava, and I think they did it very well. The attraction between them is huge and it sometimes make me want to be able to shake both of them up a little bit, so they would do something about their attraction. Yet, at the same time, I was afraid that once they jumped in bed, the friendship would disappear. Luckily, it didn't happen that way. The dialogue also was very funny.

The details about bull riding were very interesting too. I actually loved them, because they helped set the background for Chase a lot better. They helped me understand part of why Chase was so determined to succeed and to be the best at bull riding.

This is one of the series that don't disappoint, the series where each book is better than the previous one and no matter which book you read first, it will get you hooked on the series and it will make you want to read it all over and over again. Another thing I love about it is the little tidbits about the characters who already have their story told. You always get to see them again and that's wonderful in my opinion. Now, I am impatiently waiting for the next story in this fun, sexy series, Cowboy Casanova, due December 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasin' Eight.

Quotes Rubysbooks Liked

Lorelei James
“Let me grab my toothbrush and toothpaste and I'll go.

Get your eyes off my junk and you'll see that I have your toothbrush and toothpaste in my hand.

Oh shit. She raised her gaze only high enough to see, yes indeed, Chase was holding her oral hygiene supplies.”
Lorelei James, Chasin' Eight

Lorelei James
“Back off, perv! I have a black belt in taekwondo
and I will fuck you up if you take another step toward
me.”
Chase raised his hands in surrender, trying really,
really hard to keep his eyes on hers. “Whoa, there,
crouching tiger. Let’s just take this down a notch.”
Lorelei James, Chasin' Eight