Lauren DeStefano's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: knife-factor

This book has the knife factor. It’s one of the books that held a blade to my throat and said, “Tell the world about me.”

I was blessed with an opportunity to read this book last summer, as a Word document. Each time I had to set it down I felt utterly unhinged, obsessed, distraught, curious. And moreover, excited, because from page one, I knew that this was something great. While readers were discussing the fabulous books of 2011, I was smug to know that 2012 would promise more great additions to the world of YA.

Araby is a bright, wonderful, and broken voice throughout this story. And she lives in a broken world, to boot. Her past and her secrets are revealed to the reader only as she works up the bravery to recant them. One scene in particular found its way into my dreams several months later, unprovoked. The story infiltrates my thoughts often, even though it’s been nearly a year since I finished it.

For me to summarize the plot would be useless, in my opinion. It’s a full sensory experience, and all I can say is I think you should read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Hammond This is DEF a book I'll want to read...

message 2: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Stacey Alright, I'm reading it just for your sake Laura :P

message 3: by Veronika (new) - added it

Veronika i love edgar all poe so i really want to see how she does her take on his story. can't wait to read it!!!

Lauren DeStefano Veronika wrote: "i love edgar all poe so i really want to see how she does her take on his story. can't wait to read it!!!"

It's a really unique take; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

message 5: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah also bethany is my bff. DOUBLE THE POINTS.

Lauren DeStefano Hannah wrote: "also bethany is my bff. DOUBLE THE POINTS."

I will not eat or sleep until everyone I know is aware of this book.

Well, okay, I need to sleep. And I get hungry a few times a day... But I sure as heck won't run for president until EVERYONE I KNOW IS AWARE OF THIS BOOK.

message 7: by Veronika (new) - added it

Veronika the cover sort of reminds me of anna dressed in blood

Lauren DeStefano Veronika wrote: "the cover sort of reminds me of anna dressed in blood"

I still need to read that one.

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Griffin Hannah wrote: "also bethany is my bff. DOUBLE THE POINTS."

awww, now I feel warm and fuzzy!

message 10: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Griffin Lauren wrote: "Hannah wrote: "also bethany is my bff. DOUBLE THE POINTS."

I will not eat or sleep until everyone I know is aware of this book.

Well, okay, I need to sleep. And I get hungry a few times a day... ..."

Wow, I don't even know what to say to this. Except, that eating and sleeping are among my favorite things in life, so don't neglect them. and also, thanks, I'm so so so glad you liked Masque!!!!

message 11: by Veronika (new) - added it

Veronika Lauren wrote: "Veronika wrote: "the cover sort of reminds me of anna dressed in blood"

me too!
so many books!....but so little time :(

Lauren DeStefano Bethany wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Hannah wrote: "also bethany is my bff. DOUBLE THE POINTS."

I will not eat or sleep until everyone I know is aware of this book.

Well, okay, I need to sleep. And I get hungry a few ..."

I dig stories about twins, themes of loss, Poe, and steampunkery. Also, I have purple hair. Not sure if you knew this. So when I was reading this, I felt sorta like that guy who got peanut butter on chocolate and tasted it for the first time.

message 13: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Lauren wrote: "Hannah wrote: "also bethany is my bff. DOUBLE THE POINTS."

I will not eat or sleep until everyone I know is aware of this book.

Well, okay, I need to sleep. And I get hungry a few times a day... ..."

YOU TELL 'EM, LAUREN. FUCK YOU, AMERICA, READ MASQUE.

Gabrielle Carolina I think it's perfect that you're blurbing this one! I feel like if you and Tahereh Mafi wrote a collab novel it would be this one.

message 15: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole I can't wait to read it! I'm a HUGE Poe fan so of course the title caught my eye and the premise and summary made me know I just HAD to read it!

Jonna The cover... is just amazing! It draws me in. Can't wait to read it.

message 17: by Nerissa (new) - added it

Nerissa Galloway Lauren wrote: "Veronika wrote: "the cover sort of reminds me of anna dressed in blood"

I still need to read that one."

Do it! Girl of nightmares comes out later this year.

Shari So glad this amazing book is getting a good rep:)

message 19: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Nerissa wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Veronika wrote: "the cover sort of reminds me of anna dressed in blood"

I still need to read that one."

Do it! Girl of nightmares comes out later this year."

I agree, read it! Anna was mind-blowing and I can't wait for the story to continue in Girl of Nightmares! I've been talking to the author and she said Girl of Nightmares will be the last of Anna's tales but she's writing a new series that involves dying Gods and lots of mythology.

Devan Goodreads should officially replace the stars with a scale of 0-knife factor to rate books.

Kelsey I am starting this book! I hope it lives up to your "knife-factor" (I love that) and epic review!