Pricky's Reviews > A Long, Long Sleep

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

Oct 04, 2011

bookshelves: multicultural, mystery, sci-fi, ya, read-in-2012, psyche
Read from January 05 to 11, 2012

I almost didn't make it to the end. Half-way through, I almost tossed it aside. Half-way through, I had to tell myself to just keep on going and finish. To tell you the truth, it lulled me to sleep a couple of times.

It wasn't that the writing was dull, it was just a slow...long...trek to uncover the truth behind Rose's sleep.

Found in a futuristic anti-aging tube in the basement of a wealthy condominium, Rose awakens after more than 60 years asleep. She finds herself suddenly thrust into the public eye as THE HEIR to a powerful interplanetary company. But as she tries to make sense of the present, there are still some unexplained memories in her past she must confront.

Rose is one of those characters that you have to look beyond the surface to see the complexities beneath. Initially, I found her to be quite plain and spineless. Sorry for the pun, but really, she's a fish out of water. Here she is 60 years later, a complete stranger in a new world, and not a single complaint or peep is heard. I wasn't sure where this story was going...because, like I said, I was just trudging along...

But by the end, everything made sense, and it took that long, slow climb to finally reveal WHO Rose truly is, was, and will become.

It's a story of a broken soul who eventually finds herself. Unlike the fairy tale (Sleeping Beauty) and refreshingly so, (view spoiler) But it does however give a deep and thought provoking look into the life of a scared little girl (view spoiler) who has the will to LIVE ON.

My only challenges to the story are:
1. I wanted a more "futuristic" quality to it: more unique technology and less forced slang.
2. Some scenes seemed unrealistic: (view spoiler)
3. And while the ending provided resolution, it was still (view spoiler):)
4. The addition of the (view spoiler) seemed a out of place and unnecessary.

But overall, after I closed the book, its story still haunted me into the next day...and that's always a good thing. Hope you enjoy it too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long, Long Sleep.

01/11/2012 page 268

Sandy I really liked this one. It was completely unexpected. Glad to see you enjoyed it, too!

Pricky Sandy wrote: "I really liked this one. It was completely unexpected. Glad to see you enjoyed it, too!"

Yes! COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED. Pleasantly surprised. I'm glad I read it. A good first read for the new year!

Sandy Love your review! Yes, this was haunting. I was thinking about it for days after. That last line was CHILLING.

And dear sweet Otto. He was one of my favorite characters for 2011.

Wendy Darling I had a similar experience, Pricky--I had to force myself to finish too, but then it got really good around the halfway point! I ended really liking it, I'm glad you did, too.

Pricky Wendy Darling wrote: "I had a similar experience, Pricky--I had to force myself to finish too, but then it got really good around the halfway point! I ended really liking it, I'm glad you did, too."

I know! Usually, by the half-way point, I think I know how I feel about a book and so I was just ready to stick with that, but by the end, my feelings went completely the other way...That almost never happens. I'm glad I didn't give up. :)