Paul's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Don DeLillo

Oct 04, 11

Read in April, 2011

I was asked what this book is about, and I didn't have a good answer. It's about America, from the 90s back to the 50s. It's about baseball, and a baseball. It's about relationships, and how they're intertwined.

It's not an easy read, as it travels backwards and forwards in time, starting with an excellent fictionalized account of Bobby Thomson's famous home run, then jumping to the early 90s, and back. Things are revealed in the current present, then explored in more depth as the past is brought forward. Many times, I found myself flipping back to re-read previous items.

It's also a long book, though ultimately it never dragged. The biggest issue is that with a tome like this, it takes awhile to find the time to finish it - about a month for me, it looks like. Doing so made things a bit more difficult, as it jumps around so much.

Overall, there are many evocations which ring true, and DeLillo handles his many threads masterfully. It's an incredibly ambitious work, and for the most part, it succeeds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.