Emilija's Reviews > Witchlanders

Witchlanders by Lena Coakley

Dec 29, 15

bookshelves: 2011-reads, favorites, high-ish-fantasy, stand-alone, cover-lust, six-stars, wish-to-read-for-first-time-again
Recommended to Emilija by: Anonymous
Recommended for: Awesome lit lovers
Read from October 04 to 09, 2011

I'm having a hard time expressing my feelings for this book. So in conclusion - this book was... stunning.

The writing was beautiful and it flowed smoothly. It never felt as if the book was disjointed - in other books it's sometimes so clear like bad jump-cuts in movies that make no fucking sense, but in Witchlanders I never even considered the thought. The plot was just outstanding. There were unexpected twists and turns, it made my heart race at times and that was freaking awesome. One of the biggest things I loved about this book was that the villain was revealed only in the end. We literally read the whole book not knowing who the bad guys is - bad things just happened and everyone looked at each other and didn't know what the fuck they need to do or who to trust. That was such an incredible thing to do and I applaud Miss Lena for being able to keep that mystery under wraps so well until the very end - the reveal was mind blowing and I could practically hear the author going "MUAHAHAHAHA BITCH! DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING DID YOU?!" Miss Lena's evil scream of joy made my ears bleed out my brain.

The one thing that I absolutely loved the most by far was that there was no romance in the book - it was not needed and wouldn't have added anything to the story and Miss Lena realized that adding romance as a subplot would have been a bad thing to do and that just made my brain cum. There was so much action going that romance had no place there, plus the characters were so well developed that they actually had priories and... stuff. That's a foreign concept in YA/NA today.

I also want to add that I hate Vissier. No not hate - loathe. Loathe so freaking much that I wanted to literally rip pages out of the book. But again, I applaud Miss Lena for being able to conjure up such strong emotions from me.

The whole concept of the Witchlanders and the Baen and their legends and beliefs was so freaking interesting, I mean, it was a little hard to wrap my head around for about the first half of the book but things became clear as things went on and I appreciated that all of the lose strings were tied. For some reason some authors think it's a good idea to spare us the important details.

Another thing I need to add - this is not your typical YA book - this is some hardcore fantasy going on. Plus the male POV was really refreshing. GODDAMN THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchlanders.

10/07 page 114
10/08 page 151
37.0% "This book is so mysterious."
10/09 page 184
45.0% ""Blood spurred from the wound, a surprise of red in the white landscape." I love the writing in this."
10/09 page 302
73.0% "I knew it! I knew it!!!"
10/09 page 338
82.0% "Damn it! I was wrong!"
03/29 marked as: read