Amber's Reviews > Breathless

Breathless by Anne Stuart

Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: historical-england

I was ambivalent about reading this book due to the whole rape hullabaloo. Well, wow, it IS definitely rape-y. My goodness. Very old school bodice ripper again and again. And while there were most of the instances fell into the forced seduction category, there were other(s) that were definitely rape. I say that because in the book they claim it's not and because I saw a few reviews claiming that as well. Well, it is, dammit, and here's why: (view spoiler)

But anyways, on to the book! Well, I LOVED Ruthless. Reckless was also good, if a bit, hmm... the hero was missing his teeth. Breathless veered back in the other direction with an over-the-top villain. Kind of makes me wonder if Breathless wasn't a response to a lackluster Reckless, but oh well. What I did very much like was that he was so over the top and, while others feared that about him, the heroine found it comical (which it was). The H was also able to laugh at himself, albeit in the cold, sardonic way of an Anne Stuart hero. It was nice, intelligent self-awareness. Their situation was questionable for so many reasons. He could have found revenge in a better way, and she didn't act like someone who'd been raped ('cause she was! she was!) But the banter was SUBLIME. I could forgive the awkward setup just to get them to that house and have them go at each other. It was enjoyable in the best way.

As usual for Anne Stuart, the secondary romance was strong and delightful. I waffled between a 4 and 5 star on this, but I think you have to put this up against the high drama of bodice rippers and, in that case, it's great. And somehow, oddly, I totally bought the HEA. The H is a total pussycat once he got over the whole I'm-an-evil-villain-out-for-revenge bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathless.