Jenn's Reviews > Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood

Smashed by Koren Zailckas

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: onmyshelf, 2012books
Read in January, 2012

I found this book to be really interesting. The author explores how drinking as a young teenager affected her emotional and social development. The main point that she tries to drive home to readers is that it is possible to have an alcohol problem without being an alcoholic.

She explains how media and social perception encourage girls to drink as a way to cover up shyness, depression and social anxiety. She uses many examples from high school and college to show how reliant she and a vast number of her peers are on drinking to exist in their environment and what it has done to their adult lives.

It was really interesting to me because Koren is very close to my age and her experiences were ones I witnessed at the same age. I can say, for sure, that I'm lucky that I was not socially dependent on alcohol but I can see how it would be a very easy path to go down.

The only downside for me was that I wish there was more reflection and discussion of Koren's life after giving up drinking and maybe a few less drunken anecdotes. It gets a little slow in the middle.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smashed.