Nicola's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, kindle

I have heard that the makers of HBO’s Game of Thrones are planning to split the third book into two seasons. Might I also suggest that, when they adapt A Feast for Crows, they reduce it to a five-minute montage (possibly accompanied by a Decemberists song)? Because that is how much happens in this book. Nothing. NOTHING HAPPENS.

The whole thing reads like a writing exercise. Like George RR Martin sat down and thought, “gosh, I don’t know what to write, so I’ll just write whatever’s in my head, plot be damned.” Unfortunately, what’s in his head is as dull as dishwater.

I think the premise of Crows was supposed to be that the notion of a seamless segue between wartime and peacetime is erroneous and, in fact, a post-wartime society seethes with misery and unrest. But the seething is just too low-key and the misery lacking in emotional punch.

In place of the action of the previous book, we’re forced to follow characters on wild goose chases or journeys that are seemingly without end. One character joins a cult. But somehow even that’s quite dull.

There’s something genuinely sad about the point at which writers become “editor-proof”. Crows is clearly that book for Martin. To add salt to the wound, he finishes this boring, bloated book with an author’s note that can summarized thus: “lol, sorry if you hated this book, but IDC.”

SALT. WOUND.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I've never read this book (and now I guess I won't?!) but your review amused me so thanks for that. :-D