Liza's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

1207623
Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read on October 04, 2011

Stephanie Perkins is A-MAAAAAZING! I loved Anna and The French Kiss and was worried this wouldn't compare, but Lola and the Boy Next Door exceeded my expectations! ...and I think I might have even liked this more than Anna and the French Kiss, which I think is because I felt Lola's character and family was much more fleshed out and realistic feeling despite how unconventional she is. I still love Anna, but that was Lola's plus. I honestly felt from the summary that Lola might be a little too pretentious of a character for me, but she wasn't in the least. She's a very bloveable girl. And CRICKET. CRICKET CRICKET CRICKET! When I read that name my little heart goes pitter patter. He has to be one of the best boys in Contemporary YA history. He's a little nerdy, but cool on the other side of the coin and he has a heart of gold.

In my childhood I was a figure skating fanatic. I still have recorded vhs tapes of competitions from nearly every year between 1994-2002. Alexei Yagudin, Elena Berezhanaya and Anton Sikharulidze... Irina Slutskaya! Yes, obviously I root for Russia, but that's to be expected considering. But I loved all the figure skating references. I've never seen that before in YA novel and I was quite cheesed. I loved Lola's costumes and her courage to be so different. And I loved her family. I totally wish I had two dads! I think I could probably go on for forever about what I loved about this book and annoy the hell out of you, so I'll stop and say: READ THIS! It's just that wonderful!

Read more of my reviews at my blog: Book Crook Liza!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

10/04/2011 page 180