Sheila's Reviews > Escape to Witch Mountain

Escape to Witch Mountain by Alexander Key

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: reread2011
Read on October 04, 2011

I am writing a story based on this (the rough draft of which is due in three days, ha ha), so I read the book on the train in this morning. It's one of those seminal books from my childhood - when I bought a copy recently, I even bought the exact edition I had when I was seven or eight.

This book is a bit 1968 in spots, mostly with the attitude towads money, although the environmentalism is still fresh today. It's a bit more noir than I remembered in the city/orphanage bits. (Probably when I was eight I didn't really get the nuances.) And I'd forgotten how awesome Father O'Day was, with his "wrestling with the devil" attitude.

Some of the dialogue is a bit hard to buy as a kid's, even a space alien kid's, but, whatever. Heart!

I've got the sequel on hold at the library - Key apparently wrote it based on the screenplay of the film, so it'll be interesting to see how he makes that work given the changes between this book and the (original) film.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape to Witch Mountain.