Rabiah's Reviews > Kiss the Morning Star

Kiss the Morning Star by Elissa Janine Hoole

Jul 18, 12

Read in May, 2012

Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.in/20...

As far as road-trips in YA go, this one is quite unique. It's got the usual ingredients: a car, a map, some romance, and some crazy situations. However, the way in which Elissa Janine Hoole has mapped out this road trip to self-discovery is amazing. Granted, this book is also somewhat religious, but not in the way you'd expect. I love how that this is an unplanned trip (hence the uniqueness) and they use a book, Dharma Bums in order to find out where to go next. It really does make us question whether there's such a thing as fate, because wherever they go, something seems to bring Anna and Kat closer together, and learn more about themselves.

❝"Let's stay up all night," Kat whispers. "Let's wait for the moon to kiss the morning star"❞

I liked Anna's character enough. I like that she has the guts to go on this quest, to defy what her family has brought her up to be, and learn things on her own. What I didn't like was the constant worrying which went for ages on and on, although in a way that made me like Anna because she was the more sensible and mature one. Kat on the other hand...
I didn't like her too much, because she dragged Anna into things that she didn't want to do. I found her too outward, too forward. I know if I was Anna in this situation, I would rather go home than do completely crazy things. I hated how irresponsible Kat was sometimes, but she DID add some humor to the story. *Sighs* I hate how conflicted I am about the characters in this novel.
I also love the people along the way which they meet. Obviously, not all of them are good, but I loved Shaggy, Seth and Leroy– they all added that "umph" to the trip, and definitely spiced it up.

As I mentioned before, this book has some religious tones. It's not completely filled with it, but initially, this road trip is a quest for faith in the end. It all really comes down to that. But on the final line, Kiss the Morning Star is definitely one to pick up. It's a short read, but one not to be taken so lightly. Hoole has written a novel which teens will adore, and I can't wait to read more from her in the future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss the Morning Star.