Adam's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Oct 04, 2011

Read from September 14 to October 03, 2011

Since it seemed everyone else in London was reading this I thought I'd give it a go. I knew the film was coming too, and I like being all smug and twatty about having read the book first.

I don't want to say much about the plot, as if you knew anything about it in advance then I expect it would render reading the book pretty pointless. One Day is a simple tale, told simply. Theres nothing flashy about the language, and both of the main characters are total cocks I'm afraid. I didnt find any real depth to the story either, no philosophy, no allusion to any bigger picture. Just two people, and their relationship over that One Day.

Yet somehow it works. Its funny enough, in places, and sort of realistic enough, I guess. I mean it was believable. In fact, its written so simply that it doesnt even feel like reading. In the end, the most interesting thing about it is probably the plot mechanic described by the title. And it is an interesting structure. Maybe thats enough.

I really dont even know why I liked it, looking back. But I did. At least I'll get a chance to feel superior when I watch the film.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.

Emma Cook I felt the same. It's a book that I shouldn't enjoy but I did. The Characters weren't particularly deep but it was a nice whimsical story. Didn't like the sickly sentimental ending though.

Adam Its pretty easy going. Sometimes thats just what you need.

Emma Cook And that's exactly what I needed at the time!