Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Before I Wake

Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: i-own, harlequin-sent, publisher-sent, for-review
Read in April, 2010

** spoiler alert ** **READ IN JUNE 2012**

Find my complete review here: http://rachybee-the-rest-is-still-unw...

Thank-you to HarlequinTEEN Australia for providing me with a copy to read and review

Rachel Vincent’s Before I Wake kicks off the 6th instalment of her Soul Screamers series and proves once and for all that this series just gets better and better with every book!

As I was reading Before I Wake it was hard for me to believe that I ever had issues with this series. Back when I first began it I struggled to stay interested at times and there were moments when some of the characters got on my nerves. Now I wonder what I was ever thinking! Rachel Vincent had me completely captivated from start to finish and considering that the wait from Before I Die to this one was excruciating, I couldn’t devour this book fast enough. I had to keep reading, simply because I needed more--it was addicting!

It was easy to get engrossed in this book as there was so much going on, with Avari continuing to cause his normal heart-ache for Kaylee and the rest of the main characters. Rachel Vincent sure knows how to add in plenty of twists and turns while still managing to keep the suspense and mystery flowing as she weaves her tale of Kaylee’s life. There’s that perfect balance of romance, high drama, humour and danger that makes the whole novel exciting and interesting. As usual, there's an almost stand-alone plot, so very different from the previous books, but still incorporating aspects already seen throughout the rest of the series.

I admit I was really excited to see what Vincent would do with Kaylee after the events of the last book and I’m pleased to say I found Before I Wake to be as exciting, if not more so, than the last book. As always Kaylee was the great self-sacrificing character she always is, but it was nice to see her struggle adjusting to her new status as a living-non-alive being. It made it seem so much more realistic that not everything was perfect for her and that she didn’t just flow into her new state of being without some necessarily issues. It wasn’t a smooth transition and instead she struggled with her feelings and emotions and more importantly the lack there of at times.

Of course the relationship Kaylee has with all the other characters continues to remain strong and for some, Nash mainly, those relationships begin to slowly rebuild, but none are as brilliant and as intense as the one she has with Tod. After everything they went through in the previous book, they’re in a really wonderful place during Before I Wake and their relationship just continues to strengthen as the series continues to progress. The intensity and electricity is there in abundance and the desperation and power behind the way they feel about each other is enough to make a girl swoon. Tod is hot, sexy and the type of guy any girl would want to have feel about her the way Tod feels about Kaylee. He’s fiercely protective and incredibly devoted and there’s nothing he wouldn’t do for her. She’s his whole world, as he’s hers and as they look at eternity together it’s obvious that nothing will come between them, especially as Tod begins to win over her father in a very un-sarcastic Tod like manner.

However even as things look good for Kaylee and Tod, Avari continues to drive the plotline in the story and this time he’s back in a way that threatens the very world. Vincent once more sets our main characters up as the heroes and yet still throws plenty of pain and dire circumstances their way. There’s certainly a lot of surprises and as the series is set to come to a close with the next, and final book, With All My Soul, fans of the series can rest assured that Rachel Vincent will not disappoint with what I’m sure will be the most explosive and exciting book yet!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Wake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winnie (new) - added it

Winnie Tell about this series... curious

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) This series is pretty good. I have to catch up with the last two books, but I think it's something you'd like. It's about a girl Kaylee who discovers she's a banshee and can tell when people are about to die. It involves banshee's, reapers, demons, love, romance, humor and two spunky brothers that you're sure to love!

message 3: by Winnie (new) - added it

Winnie Rachel wrote: "This series is pretty good. I have to catch up with the last two books, but I think it's something you'd like. It's about a girl Kaylee who discovers she's a banshee and can tell when people are ab..."

Thanks, i think i would too.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Let me know if you like it when you do eventually read it =)

message 5: by Winnie (new) - added it

Winnie Okay... I will.

Alec I know it's been a while, but I just finished this book and was wondering if you could explain to me what happened. I re-read the end and am still confused. Message me?