Mel's Reviews > The Book Thief

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from October 21 to November 03, 2011

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Mel Liked

Markus Zusak
“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”

Markus Zusak
“Please believe me when I tell you that I picked up each soul that day as if it were newly born. I even kissed a few weary, poisoned cheeks. I listened to their last, gasping cries. Their vanishing words. I watched their love visions and freed them from their fear.”

Markus Zusak
“Hair the color of lemons,'" Rudy read. His fingers touched the words. "You told him about me?"

At first, Liesel could not talk. Perhaps it was the sudden bumpiness of love she felt for him. Or had she always loved him? It's likely. Restricted as she was from speaking, she wanted him to kiss her. She wanted him to drag her hand across and pull her over. It didn't matter where. Her mouth, her neck, her cheek. Her skin was empty for it, waiting.

Years ago, when they'd raced on a muddy field, Rudy was a hastily assembled set of bones, with a jagged, rocky smile. In the trees this afternoon, he was a giver of bread and teddy bears. He was a triple Hitler Youth athletics champion. He was her best friend. And he was a month from his death.

Of course I told him about you," Liesel said.”

Markus Zusak
“Saukerl," she laughed, and as she held up her hand, she knew completely that he was simultaneously calling her a Saumensch. I think that's as close to love as eleven-year-olds can get.”

Markus Zusak
“When finally she finished and stood herself up, he put his arm around her, best-buddy style, and they walked on. There was no request for a kiss. Nothing like that. You can love Rudy for that, if you like.”

Markus Zusak
“An attribute of Rosa Hubermann, she was a good woman for a crisis.”

11/02/2011 page 452
82.0% "I don't want to get to the part where my favorite character dies :("