Maciek's Reviews > Lyra's Oxford

Lyra's Oxford by Philip Pullman

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, fantasy, ebook, reviewed, the-ya-shelf
Read on October 04, 2011

Lyra's Oxford is a small publication, a short story essentially, which can be easily read in one sitting. It is after the events of His Dark Materials trilogy and features the familiar duo of Lyra Silvertongue and her daemon, Pantalaimon. Both are stationed at Oxford, when a witch's daemon arrives, begging Lyra to help him find a person who's unknown to her...

To say more would spoil the book, since it is so very short. And that's my complain. While it is certainly enjoyable, and Pullman's writing is as good as it was in His Dark Materials, it's just a short story. Obviously not as massive in scope as the trilogy, it is just a pleasant teaser of a larger book which Pullman has been writing for some time now, called The Book of Dust. It was fun seeing Lyra and Pan again, as they reminded me of their adventures in Northern Lights, and I hope to meet them again one day. Bonus features of this slim volume are pretty cool: A postcard from Mary Malone, a map of Oxford and even a cruise brochure. But the story itself is like a bonus chapter which is sometimes included in novels; a preview of next in the series, or a new book by the author. And this is exactly it: a preview of things to come, hopefully soon.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lyra's Oxford.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Rachel I read that he is still working on The Book of Dust and it would still be a few more years before we can read it. Wish it wasn't taking so long.

Maciek Thanks, Rachel! I would love to read more novels and stories set in that world. I loved Northern Lights.

Rachel It was the Golden Compass here. I wish they would have made the other books into movies also. I love seeing what I read come to life, no matter how bad they butcher the books. Im almost done with #3 and then I can start the 2 companion books.

Maciek I have not seen the movie, but I enjoyed these books greatly. I was grossly disappointed in the last one, for many reasons. Maybe my impression would be different now.
"Once upon a Time in the North" is excellent! You'll enjoy it.

Rachel Well you should watch the movie, just for the hell of it. Yeah I have so many questions and ideas while reading #3.

Maciek Thanks, Rachel. I'd watch it because the first book of the series is definitely my favorite.

Rachel I did finish this one and man was it a tease!