Harper Kingsley's Reviews > Bulfinch's Mythology

Bulfinch's Mythology by Thomas Bulfinch

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: reference

A very interesting read. A lot of the myths I read elsewhere are completely different than the ones I read elsewhere. I'm not sure which myths are the more prevalent, but the differences were very interesting.

As I like to include some mythology and mythological stories into my writings, I think this will be a very helpful tool. My copy of "D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths" brings in the whimsical, while "Bulfinch's" bring in a more practical view.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bulfinch's Mythology.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann I read a lot of myth....and this was one of the good ones!!

Harper Kingsley Carole-Ann wrote: "I read a lot of myth....and this was one of the good ones!!" It really is. I've been enjoying it a lot. I didn't get the "illustrated" version, but the more classic version.

message 3: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann My mind is so weird - I don't need pictures !!! I can imagine things easily enough - but the piccies ARE pretty !!

message 4: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann Adding to previous post....you've made me realise that I have a copy of this in my shop....have to go find, just in case.....

Harper Kingsley Carole-Ann wrote: "My mind is so weird - I don't need pictures !!! I can imagine things easily enough - but the piccies ARE pretty !!"

Yeah, I don't need pics. But the pics in this are just clips of statuary. That's cool and all, but I like the illustrations in D'Aulaire's and like Usborne Greek Myths by Heather Amery. I like the whimsical art style versus pictures of broken up statues. It makes it feel more alive to me.

Baby Hermes is so cute!