Aubrey's Reviews > Charmed Circle: Gertrude Stein and Company

Charmed Circle by James R. Mellow

Nov 28, 11

Read from October 03 to November 28, 2011

This was a very well written and interesting account of Gertrude Stein's life and relationships with so many famous authors, artists, collectors, and musicians. It gives a pretty interesting picture of life in France between (and during) the world wars as well as communications with America during those times.

It was fascinating to read accounts of such famous icons as Picasso, Matisse, Hemingway, etc.

I finished this book (which has many pictures in it as well) just in time to see an exhibit at the Smithsonian on Gertrude Stein's life. The book and the exhibit together made an excellent and memorable experience!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmed Circle.

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Have you seen Midnight in Paris? A Woody Allen flick starring Owen Wilson. It is all about this set in Paris. It made me think I wanted to read a book about them all. Now I have the option! Check out the movie on Netflix. You'll get the inside jokes better than I did. :)

Aubrey I DID see that movie and enjoyed it immensely! This is funny that you commented on this review. I started a letter to you yesterday and mentioned it thinking you probably wouldn't see this here. :) I left the book in Colorado, otherwise I would drop it off at your mom's house to take back with you.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Ha! I always scan your Good Reads lists when they come to my email. Now that I have my Kindle (did I mention I got one for my birthday?) I'm more inspired to keep up on what others are reading because I can actually get access to the book more easily.

Aubrey You got a kindle? That's great! I still prefer reading actual books, but the kindle really is handy. The book I'm reading now, I bought for only $1.99 the moment I was in the mood to read it!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Yep, my sister and Mom gifted me a Kindle. I'm happy for it, as access to English books is scarce here. But I agree with you, I still prefer physical books. There's parts of the Kindle that I still don't understand how to use. I've got to read the instruction manual so I can work it like a paper book. :(

message 6: by Megan (new)